Anyone tried Daily Harvest for Breakfast? (or any other meal?)

Options
bearbeth8
bearbeth8 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
So its clear from my food reports that I need to eat fewer animal products and more fruit and veg. I thought about trying Daily Harvest so that I could get a kick of fruits and vegetables first thing, and also not eat meat for breakfast. But I'm worried that it won't sustain me until my snack/lunch. Anyone tried Daily Harvest or some other smoothie option? I also thought about doing daily harvest and then tossing in some protein powder.

I'm trying to lose weight - I've lost 25 lbs and still have 15lbs to go. I generally work out 2-4 times per week and am pretty active when not sitting behind a desk.

I'm eager to hear your experiences... Thanks!

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My experience here at MFP has been a weath of educational materials found in the sticky posts in each subforum.

I don't think you can go very wrong by starting with the base premise of eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight.
    There are about eight hundred million stories here of people starting, stopping, and restarting diet plans based on other people's food ideas. It's the restarting part of their stories that is the red flag to me.

I'm having excellent sucess eating the foods I enjoy, and using MFP to log the food I eat, so that I can watch my intake and stick to the daily calorie target I have set.

I searched online for "TDEE Calculators" and filled out a couple different ones and took the average of the results to settle on my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (a.k.a. calories needed each day). I found that MFP goal setup was pretty much in the same ballpark.

If you base your meal plans around the food you like, and simply adjust the amount of it that you eat, I bet you'll have a better chance of not only reaching your target, but also maintaining once you get there.

Good luck!
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I never eat meat for breakfast, way to heavy for me. My go-to is toasted sprouted whole grains bread (2 slices), with jam or light cheese spread, along with coffee (comes in at around 165 calories). This keeps me going until lunchtime. Sometimes I'll make a green smoothie for breakfast instead-takes less than 3 minutes to throw together. Smoothies are really easy to do on your own, and making them yourself is going to be a lot cheaper than paying for a service, and you'll be making them just how you want them instead of relying on someone else.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    My breakfast smoothie sustains me until lunch, which is a fruit, veggie, and protein powder smoothie when it's warmer.

(I've started adding the equivalent of an extra half scoop of PP since I took this screen shot.)

qoqkc1hlr1po.png

These days I am having rice & beans with a fried egg, a little cheese, and cottage cheese for lunch. Or sometimes I have that for breakfast and the bfast smoothie for lunch.
  • lorajs
    lorajs Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I am late to this, but I just started Daily Harvest last week and I love it so far. My first box was the 24 pack, I was doing a smoothie for breakfast, soup for lunch and harvest bowl for dinner. I am switching to a 12 pack and will do a smoothie for breakfast and either soup or harvest bowl for lunch. I add lite almond mil to the smoothies and broth to the dinners and soups plus some chicken. Snack on veggies and hummus or peanut butter. I think the smoothies are pretty filling for me, I am thinking about adding in a protein powder to them. Can't hurt to try a 12 pack, they always have a 3 free cups promotion for the first box.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My only trouble with daily harvest is some of them are too low protein for me. I don't think that adding protein powder is a bad idea! I have them for lunch because breakfast is easy for me to do on my own.