How to start lifting with lower back pain?

Options
I currently exercise regularly: alternating between cardio, bodyweight exercises & core exercises (bird dogs, curl ups, plank and side plank)

I am curious about adding heavy weight lifting to my regimen, like squats, deadlifts, overhead press, and kettlebell swings.

But it's easy for me to throw out my back out if I am not careful lifting heavy objects. If I am not exercising regularly, I can get shooting pain down my leg. (FYI I have herniated disk in my lower back).

- Should I integrate these heavy weight exercises into my regimen?
- If so, how do I do it in a safe way?
- If not, please let me know that, too. I would love to get your opinion.

Replies

• whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Is it possible for you to see a physical therapist to determine what would be 1)safe to do right now and 2) help you work toward your goal of lifting weights? Given your known issue, I would not add weights without discussing it with a professional. I say this as someone with a hip issue who hasn't been cleared to lift weights.

• feef41
    feef41 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying, whathapnd. I am hesitant to see PT because I'm afraid the answer will be no. But maybe it's just the right thing to do.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I am hesitant to see PT because I'm afraid the answer will be no. " Then maybe the answer should be NO. "But maybe it's just the right thing to do. " Or you could risk serious injury. Your call.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You really should go see a professional for this. Some things can't be resolved over the internet. Trust me - this comes from someone who went through something similar.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have a weak back and am doing squats, deadlifts and dumbbell lifts. I had a trainer show me correct form and I am using a 28-pound curl bar (lighter than the 45 pound Olympic bar) and adding weight in about 1.25 to 2 pound increments. Also, I am only doing 3 sets of 5 reps for the barbell row to build strength in my back slowly. And I avoid the overhead press completely. Instead I do seated dumbbell shoulder press where I can use the back of the bench to support my low back. Lifting with back issues can be done, but you have to know what you are doing and be very careful.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a bulging disk in my lower lumbar and a bad knee. I was trying to bench, squat, deadlift, and was having a hard time adding weight. I'm worked on core, hip, glute, and back strength balancing push/pull. I do weighted hip thrusts vs 45 degree hyper extension, dips vs pull ups, pull downs vs overhead press, bench vs row. I'm being careful with squats, deadlifts, and even hip thrusts because of my knee more than my back, and careful with bench and over head press more because of my back. Some of these like bridges/hip thrusts and the hyperextension can be done without added weight.