Sugar count

Why can’t you separate the natural sugars from added sugars. As we know, added sugar is not good for you. When calculating foods, the sugar count includes both natural and added. This gives a false read of the sugar consumed.

Replies

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I do not care either way, but it was recently put into "law" - food law or whatever - that companies will have to start adding a separate row under sugar to disclose how much is added versus naturally included. So, this may be something that could be implemented on MFP in the future, but not yet. I don't know when that officially takes effect, Google probably does, but a lot of companies are already starting to do it. I'd suggest just putting it in your daily food notes box if it is something you personally would like to track. I know some people personally just prefer to avoid added sugar for reasons other than weight loss.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Added sugar and intrinsic sugar are the exact same substance (glucose, fructose or a combination of the two (sucrose aka table sugar)).
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    In the USA. Don't know about other areas:

"On May 20, 2016, the FDA announced the new Nutrition Facts label for packaged foods to reflect new scientific information, including the link between diet and chronic diseases such as obesity and heart disease. The new label will make it easier for consumers to make better informed food choices. FDA published the final rules in the Federal Register on May 27, 2016. The new label is already appearing on packages even before it is required to be used. Manufacturers with $10 million or more in annual sales must switch to the new label by January 1, 2020; manufacturers with less than $10 million in annual food sales have until January 1, 2021 to comply".

I'll add: I recall the original date to switch over to new labels was something like mid July of 2018 but that was rescinded and it (seemingly) took months for a new date to be established.

https://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/labelingnutrition/ucm385663.htm
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    FYI - new labels won't be required across the board until 2021, so it's gonna be a while.

https://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/labelingnutrition/ucm385663.htm
  • Hello, I am new to MFP, this is my second full day, and found this post while searching for an answer to the challenge I have.
    I am vegetarian and glutenfree. I rarely eat the gf breads because of all the highly refined flours, though I have developed some recipes that use whole grains.
    For each of the days, I am under my calorie limit by 100-200 but go over on fiber and sugar. I cannot figure out the problem. Each day I have had 1 serving of fruit, apple or blueberries, and then veggies, beans, and no more than 2 T of brown rice.
    I came to MFP after a serious surgery and am using it to make sure my nutrition is optimal for healing. The sugar thing is worrisome because high sugar can inhibit healing and exacerbate inflammation.
    Do y'all have any insight?
    Thanks so much!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    If you open your diary we will have more insight. Can you see what the main sources of sugar are? What is your sugar limit?