How bad is a cheat day actually?

Options
Hey guys! So I’ve been on the keto diet for almost 2 months now. I haven’t been over 40 carbs the entire time. My goal from day to day is to stay between 25-30, in an average day I only consume 1500 calories, which is better than last month were I only had 1200.My question is though, will one cheat day ruin all the hard work? I’ve lost 21 pounds so far and my blood sugar is starting to run in a more normal/ prediabetic rather than diabetic range. I love how I feel as well. My problem is I’m so tired of the food I’m allowed to eat. My friend told me the other day that he’s keto is good but you have to learn how to cheat and get right back on the diet, when you can do that you’ve truly lurked self control. But I’ve also come to the problem that I’ve been so strict that I can’t mentally get past the barrier of actual trying to eat something outside my carb range. In the past I ate my feelings and had binge eating problems, now I fear I’m going the opposite direction. I guess I have an all or nothing personality and it scares me a bit. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    No.
    You don't 'ruin' your life with one cheat day. You can prevent yourself from losing weight in a week if you go crazy for one day, but that's not what most people with any self-control do.

Are you doing keto on your own initiative or is this something a doctor recommended to you?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,720 Member
    Options
    Much more importantly and on the up and up for someone doing keto.

Part of your initial scale weight loss when you start keto is that you deplete your glycogen (carb) stores in your body and liver.

These are stored with almost 3g of water per 1g of carb.

As soon as you replenish your carb stores (if you do so) you will be adding 4g of body weight per 1g of carb that you store.

This can be a several pound swing as a result of a pasta or potato or whatever re-feed and in no way does it indicate FAT gain.

But it is an extremely common reason why people on the old Atkins and the current keto diets may think that everything is "ruined" as soon as they increase their carbs.

However, I have yet to run into a big crowd of people claiming it is easy to get on and off keto!
  • soliver1999
    soliver1999 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No.
    You don't 'ruin' your life with one cheat day. You can prevent yourself from losing weight in a week if you go crazy for one day, but that's not what most people with any self-control do.

Are you doing keto on your own initiative or is this something a doctor recommended to you?

I did a lot of thorough research and my doctor incourages it but I decided it on my own. I’m 19 with type 2 diabetes and various other auto immune/ inflamitory diseases. I weigh about 314 pounds. I live a moderately active life style with lots of walking and riding my horse. My problem was that before keto I was physically addicted to carbs/ sugar. I kid you not I could probably consume more than 300 grams of sugar a day. Cutting back to 25-30 has made me feel better and made my body run better. I guess I’m just so sick of the foods I’ve been eating that I want something different. I also don’t cook much. My extent of cooking is sticking things in the microwave. Lol I’m a college student and I’m constantly on the go and I honestly don’t like to cook.
  • soliver1999
    soliver1999 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Much more importantly and on the up and up for someone doing keto.

Part of your initial scale weight loss when you start keto is that you deplete your glycogen (carb) stores in your body and liver.

These are stored with almost 3g of water per 1g of carb.

As soon as you replenish your carb stores (if you do so) you will be adding 4g of body weight per 1g of carb that you store.

This can be a several pound swing as a result of a pasta or potato or whatever re-feed and in no way does it indicate FAT gain.

But it is an extremely common reason why people on the old Atkins and the current keto diets may think that everything is "ruined" as soon as they increase their carbs.

However, I have yet to run into a big crowd of people claiming it is easy to get on and off keto!

Ya I find it easy to either be on it or be off it. My friend just switches back and forth. I get dizzy. 2 weeks she’s on it 1 month she’s off it. I don’t think I have the will power to do it that much. I’m about to go on vacation so that’s the main reason I’m asking. I want to be able to enjoy my vacation but I’ll be with my mom and she eats anything and everything (that’s were my old eating habits come from). I’ve had such success on this diet because I live by myself and was able to throw away all the stuff I can’t have and only bring in stuff I can.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Have you considered an alternate eating plan? You need to find a way of eating that you would like for a lifetime, you obviously can't do keto for the rest of your life if you are thinking about cheating. Find a plan (CICO) that you can work "goodies" in without "cheating". This restrictive dieting then cheating is a set up for failure IMH.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cheat on keto. This would mean having to go through keto flu over and over again. What you could do is keep your calories and slowly raise carbs. This will allow you to re-introduce more variety to your diet while still controlling your weight (weight control has little to do with carbs, and everything to do with calories). Your perfect carb level is when you're happy with your blood sugar but you aren't overly restricted with carbs. If you feel keto is not sustainable, then it's not the best choice of diet for you.

^^This.

And also, if you're T2D, you have a reason for controlling your carbs that goes beyond just adhering to a WOE that you find helpful for weight loss. Not that you have to aim for keto-levels of carbs, but "cheating" on your carbs for a diabetic, depending on how that affects your blood glucose, has far more serious potential implications than just dealing with keto flu all over again. Effects of elevated blood sugar are cumulative. I think this is a question for your doctor.

That's a very good point. This is compounded by the fact that keto increases insulin resistance considerably while you're on it, so any sudden changes in carb levels could amplify the effect on blood sugar to levels even worse than if you weren't controlling carbs. The increase needs to be very gradual to regain some insulin sensitivity gradually..
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Maybe do a controlled cheat day so it doesn't become a binge day? I. E. Plan what you will eat, calculate the calories etc and make sure its not at a crazy level. Maybe keep carbs below 60 so it's not too much of a change.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cheat on keto. This would mean having to go through keto flu over and over again. What you could do is keep your calories and slowly raise carbs. This will allow you to re-introduce more variety to your diet while still controlling your weight (weight control has little to do with carbs, and everything to do with calories). Your perfect carb level is when you're happy with your blood sugar but you aren't overly restricted with carbs. If you feel keto is not sustainable, then it's not the best choice of diet for you.

^^This.

And also, if you're T2D, you have a reason for controlling your carbs that goes beyond just adhering to a WOE that you find helpful for weight loss. Not that you have to aim for keto-levels of carbs, but "cheating" on your carbs for a diabetic, depending on how that affects your blood glucose, has far more serious potential implications than just dealing with keto flu all over again. Effects of elevated blood sugar are cumulative. I think this is a question for your doctor.

That's a very good point. This is compounded by the fact that keto increases insulin resistance considerably while you're on it, so any sudden changes in carb levels could amplify the effect on blood sugar to levels even worse than if you weren't controlling carbs. The increase needs to be very gradual to regain some insulin sensitivity gradually..

I am going to echo on the above. You could make yourself sick if you suddenly change your diet.

You mentioned above that "My problem is I’m so tired of the food I’m allowed to eat." If this was prescribed by your doctor or dietitian, there is a reason. Eating the wrong things can make your T2D and your auto immune/ inflammatory diseases worse.

With your T2D and other auto immune/ inflammatory diseases, definitely talk to your doctor and/or also a registered dietitian before any change.

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto, but just from a calories in/out perspective, it won't.

I just had an entire cheat weekend and somehow lost weight, I just quit logging Friday-Sunday, ate tons of birthday cake (made a double birthday cake for my two kids joint birthday party), and it was Easter weekend, so candy-filled eggs....Anyway, during the weekend I saw a huge dip on the scale and I'm still below trend, despite my cake consumption level. It's Monday and I'm back on track.

As several previous posters have stated, please consult with your doctor and/or dietitian before making any changes.

I would look for new combinations and preparations of the foods you are allowed in the meantime, to avoid boredom.
  • dukeingram
    dukeingram Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have a cheat hour rather than a cheat day. Eat something you've been craving then get back to your keto diet immediately.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi OP. I am going to come at this from a different angle - when you think about your 'cheat' meal, what is it you think you will have ? It might help you understand what tweaks will help you on a day to day basis.

I am in light ketosis (I eat about 65g net carbs) and I found it a bit difficult until I understood what I was 'missing'. I now understand I need crunch in my day, roasted veggies are awesome (large bag of frozen efforts in the oven with some spice blend lobbed over the top) and there isnt much you can't do with eggs. I also have to have one really decent cup of tea, sugar and all, a day. I routinely have toast (counted in) which has a lot of keto'ers frothing with indignation.

If its just the rumble of hunger, then i keep to the principles, up the volume a bit and don't worry about it. The last option is to come out of ketosis and thats purely because it takes 3 days to get back into it for me.

The point I am limping towards is that I make HFLC Keto work for me - it now feels like a way of eating rather than a diet.

Good luck !