Dealing with tailgaters

13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »
    Agreed - you knew 2 miles ago the lane was merging but wanna wait til last second to merge c’mon man

Wow. You know zipper merging is the recommended and correct way to merge, right? It keeps traffic flowing faster for everyone behind the zipper merge point. People who get butthurt over someone correctly executing a zipper merge are my pet peeve.

I've literally never heard the term "zipper merge".

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/traffic-lane-zipper-merge.htm
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Agreed - you knew 2 miles ago the lane was merging but wanna wait til last second to merge c’mon man

Wow. You know zipper merging is the recommended and correct way to merge, right? It keeps traffic flowing faster for everyone behind the zipper merge point. People who get butthurt over someone correctly executing a zipper merge are my pet peeve.

Pet peeve of mine too. There's one on my commute home and people will literally dead stop with their blinker on trying to merge instead of using the whole merge lane and zipper merging...they literally still have 1000 feet of lane in front of them that is empty because they're stopped in the lane with their blinker on, backing up the merge lane and causing further congestion in the lane they're trying to get into.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I've literally never heard the term "zipper merge".

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/traffic-lane-zipper-merge.htm

interesting. I do that often on my way home from work! When there's construction here though, they set out signs saying "Merge Now. It's the law"
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Traffic provides people with a comfort zone for acting like idiots. When you are in a vehicle, many feel like you are less accountable for how they act - they feel they are all safe and secure, surrounded by "metal" (or whatever it is built from) behind locked doors. Your physical size doesn't really matter (until the parties pull over, get out, and *kitten* gets real).

Hence, the road rage frequency - you rarely hear of "pedestrian rage", where two people traveling on a sidewalk or down a hallway start cutting each other off, following each other too closely, or flipping each other off and fighting, because when you are in the personal presence of the other party and it is more difficult to get away with being a complete *kitten*.
  • skullsandskeletons
    skullsandskeletons Posts: 675 Member
    Please be careful! Recently in congested traffic, someone darted around the congestion and then cut me off, like coming within an inch of my front fender because he wasn't driving in a lane. I honked my horn and he flipped me off. I then flipped him off in return. As soon as traffic lightened up, he got behind me and tailgated me for miles, everywhere I turned -- like ON my bumper. I finally made my way to a police station and lost him. A friend of mine had someone tailgate her, then they rear-ended her when she braked. They took off, she chased after them to a parking lot, and they jumped out of their car and pulled a gun.
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    There aren’t that many times when someone wants to drive faster than me so it doesn’t happen often.
    If you want to fly past me, go for it!
    If you want to tailgate, get comfortable.

I am trying very hard to relax more when I’m driving.
    It’s not my job to punish people who drive like idiots.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    So, the way I deal with tailgaters is to wave candy at them, because I'm sure they are just hangry and want to get home to eat.

I usually keep candy in my car now, for emergencies, like when I forget to eat breakfast, I at least have something. I know, something else would be better but my buddy ended up giving me over 20 chocolate revolvers. So, right now, that's just what I have.

I feel like I should point out that my buddy did not order 100 chocolate revolvers for his girlfriend on Valentine's Day, but that is what he got. Anyway, he couldn't give that to her as a Valentine's present so he gave them to all his friends.

So now when I get tailgated, which happens often, I just pull out my candy and point it at the person and ask them, "Is this what you want?" because I'm sure they are hungry.

I guess they must realize how foolish they are acting because they usually slow down, pretty quickly sometimes.
  • _impressive_
    _impressive_ Posts: 155 Member
    Just bring *kitten* with you, grab a beer and join in the tailgating
  • _impressive_

Lol

Apparently Corn-hole cannot be typed without a hyphen
  • _impressive_

Lol

Lol good to know. But chiit id take you on on corn-hole.

You bring the Pacifico, your hole is about to get creamed :D I'll see myself out
  • _impressive_

Lol

Lol good to know. But chiit id take you on on corn-hole.

You bring the Pacifico, your hole is about to get creamed :D I'll see myself out

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Oookay way to make it weird pretty _impressive_

Its a talent
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    I take my foot off the gas and slow to a coasting crawl...averaging about 8 miles an hour. When they get impatient and change lanes to pass me, I gun it hard and keep them behind me. The rage it causes them is glorious. Lol.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited April 2019
    I take my foot off the gas and slow to a coasting crawl...averaging about 8 miles an hour. When they get impatient and change lanes to pass me, I gun it hard and keep them behind me. The rage it causes them is glorious. Lol.

What if they have a faster vehicle than yours?

If you have quick reflexes and are waiting for it, it usually doesn't matter. It helps that my car accelerates a heck of a lot faster than it looks, so it takes tailgaters by surprise. If I know they're faster I'll try to Mexican Roadblock them.