I don't think carbs are bad!

Options

Replies

• HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Love love love carbs. My doctor has advised me not to go too low on them. I reduced carbs only because I was taking in way too many but I'm not low carb.

I crave meats and other proteins. A day or two a week I crave more fats instead. The constant is always carbs.

I stick to mostly less processed carbs. The super processed stuff doesn't fill me up fast nor keep me full for long.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Add me to the crowd not thinking carbs are bad. I average 55 to 60 percent carbs on most days. Every now and then I dip below 50 percent but not often.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I've been craving fruit all day, so just made a delicious smoothie with avocado, zucchini, frozen strawberries, rhubarb, and peaches, plus some coconut and silken tofu. High carb (with some protein and fat intentionally), and really hitting the spot for lunch. I do not think carbs are bad! ;-)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, carbs fuel my activity.
    I'm also vegetarian, so get most of my protein from carb heavy food.
    And I don't have a gallbladder, so cant eat high fat.
    I've also lost 140lb eating highish carb, and kept it off
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Does it really matter what each of us thinks of carbs (or fat, or protein?) Eat whatever diet suits you, works for you and contributes most to your health. I don't understand why it even matters what others think of it.

Part of successful dieting is peer acceptance and esteem. There are a very small number of self-actualizing persons in the world, mostly of the genius or kook variety, who do not care what others think. One can wish it not so, but then one would be wrong. Fat shaming and virtue signalling is the ubiquitous characteristic of this millennium. And, there is no greater virtue to signal than an abhorrence for carbs . . . unless it is for "processed foods."
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    vegan here... I eat probably more carbs than the average person and lost over a stone in the process. Just eat healthy and train consistently🤷‍♀️
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,882 Member
    Options
    My diet is probably like 75% carbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Lost 50ish pounds eating 150-200 carbs every day, going from obese to a healthy weight, from high LDL/triglycerides to solidly normal, from high blood pressure to low-normal, from low HDL to high HDL, at age 59-60, while severely hypothyroid (treated).

Carbs are not the devil. For some people, they can be an appetite trigger; for some, they cause issues with a medical condition they have. Those people benefit from limiting carbs. The rest of us should be fine.

That said, protein is very important for good health. I'd encourage you to strive to hit the MFP minimum, or the USDA mininimum, which should be minimally adequate. Personally, I prefer to eat more than the USDA recommendation, feeling that it is on the low side for those losing weight, quite active, aging, or vegetarian (which I am). But that's a personal preference/belief. Getting enough (like the USDA recommended level as a minimum) is a good health strategy, and worth working toward. There are plenty of non-meat sources (I haven't eaten meat, at least not intentionally ;) , in almost 45 years).
  • sherrymerlot
    sherrymerlot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've followed the lifestyle and diet of low-carbers for about seven years. Unless you really need to be on VLC (ketogenic) for health conditions or because you have T2 diabetes or you are pre-diabetic, I see no reason to go to 50 grams or less of carbs daily.

I am female and I have seen the stories of women who just didn't feel well on VLC. Beware. They truly ruined their health for a period of time because they prolonged the keto, way past the point of having "low carb flu." One must listen to the body. Some people do great on keto!

Our family doesn't have a history of T2 diabetes or much obesity. I kind of follow in that way genetically, as I have always stayed within a pretty healthy weight.

I am lower carb (probably have 30% complex carbohydrates in my eating plan at this moment), which for me, means about 70-90 grams of carbs per day. Years ago, I used to eat a lot of bread, and I no longer do that, or pasta. It took over my diet and crowded out vital nutrients.

I would not mind going to 100-120 grams of carbs per day once I reach my weight loss goal, which is modest. I actually prefer my diet having 50% well-chosen fats, because they are delicious! I refuse to do without my creme fraiche!
  • Raghead
    Raghead Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    But they also eat large amounts of fish!!!
    Rice is carbs. The healthiest populations eat mass quantities of rice. Pure carbs.

• blubell0422
    blubell0422 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do reduce carbs BUT processed carbs. I eat rice and potato and vegetables and fruit. But I won't eat cake or anything with sugar in. I eat porridge for breakfast but I won't eat other breakfast cereals. Before I started this I really craved processed carby food. Now I don't. If I tried to lose weight by just reducing calories and still carried on eating pizza but in smaller portions I would fail because that would make me crave more. I also majorly hold water when I have processed carbs. Rice for example doesn't have that effect on me.