Uneven chest

Hey everyone! I’m a new poster so please be patient. I’ve been getting back into working out but the left side of my chest won’t curve near the bottom. I feel like I’ve looked up everything and nothing has worked. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ro_4R
    Ro_4R Posts: 100 Member
    I have the same. One side is a bit more undeveloped. Any insights?
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Keep lifting and progressively heavy and in due time it will even out.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Your form could be off during exercises resulting in one side doing more work. You can check that as well as incorporating unilateral work into your routines. I always incorporate unilateral dumbbell presses into my chest routine.
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    Are you left handed? Could be that your left tricep is taking more of the weight than the pectoral, thus inhibiting its growth. However ive just realised i have highlighted a potential problem without a solution. Sorry mate. Only thing i could suggest is maybe continuing to build the chest as a whole in the hope that it will even out...
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    I have the same issue but with my biceps. One has a peak the other a rounded look. Pisses me off, but what can you do.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Are you left handed? Could be that your left tricep is taking more of the weight than the pectoral, thus inhibiting its growth. However ive just realised i have highlighted a potential problem without a solution. Sorry mate. Only thing i could suggest is maybe continuing to build the chest as a whole in the hope that it will even out...

If that is the case, there is a solution - take the tricep out of chest work. Sure, 90% of people will scream you have to bench for chest, but really, muscles know tension, not exercise. It would be possible to bring it up with a pec deck or chest flies, potentially one-armed ones.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Hey everyone! I’m a new poster so please be patient. I’ve been getting back into working out but the left side of my chest won’t curve near the bottom. I feel like I’ve looked up everything and nothing has worked. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Do you have a pic of this issue? You are describing a visual that can be explained by posture, lack of lean muscle (overall not just unilateral) and of course a simple imbalance that is extremely common with a new lifter. Most everybody had a dominant side and that side can be dramatically stronger/bigger than the weak side. Eventually it tends to even out or become less visually evident. My left arm, for example is over a half inch smaller than my right but visually the disparity isn't very noticeable. It was very apparent when I first started lifting and has lessened as I added mass. Also, you can substitute bilateral moves like standard benching with machines like isolateral chest presses. IMO a better exercise to build a defined chest anyhow. I prefer this type of chest exercise to DB's as at a certain point your ability to press sometimes exceeds your ability to control and progress tends to stall.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Could just be where the muscles insert. I have one side different then the other also. A picture may help if your comfortable doing that
  • steverhodes4lu
    steverhodes4lu Posts: 5 Member

Every one is naturally slightly non symmetrical
    But one major factor is often the type of equipment you use
    For instance if you only bench press using a smith machine your dominant side will generally do more work
    Make sure you incorporate some dumbbell/machine/ cable flys or presses in your routine as well as barbell and smith machines