Portion size help

Options
Can someone help me understand portion sizes? Would be great a picture or graph that I can print and see it daily, to get used to it. I looked online and I cannot find something really comprehensive.

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    best way to determine a proper portion size is to buy a food scale, then you know exactly how much you are putting into your body :) and they're only about $15-$20
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Just use your own judgement. There is no book detailing portion sizes. If it helps, buy smaller plateware. Another thing I do is portion out how much you eat. I like to cut my sandwiches into 4ths, i realize that I don't eat the whole sandwich if I do that.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    A food scale is great. Our family doctor just told us at a well visit that a portion size is generally equal to the palm of your hand. So we use that when we're on the go
  • BRoth1987
    Options
    Food scale
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    There is a good chart on this link that compares serving sizes to common items. It is good to weigh your food, but this helps when you are at a restaurant or something - so you can just eat a serving of the super serving you are usually served at a restaurant. http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsmedicine/wcrservings.html
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are different depending on what you're eating. For meats, it's 4 ounces. For vegetables, it's generally a half cup. For fruits, about the same if chopped or sliced or a whole plum, peach, apple, etc.

For everything else, add me to the "food scale" camp. It's the only way to be really sure.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options