Keto health

Options
Hi! I started Keto almost 2 weeks ago. I started by just cutting out carbs as much as possible, but wasn’t tracking. Then I started tracking, and I was doing OK all along (about 25G carbs) besides a little high in protein and low in fat which I worked on more and more and now it’s better. I got MCT oil and keto coffee which increases my fat without protein. I feel amazing, I’m not really hungry, I think I went through the ‘flu’ where I aches and was out of breath easily, but now I feel a lot better. I’m definitely focusing better. But I swear, my chest is feeling heavier. I’m nervous about heart health/cholesterol with eating this much fat! I want to do this sooo badly but not if it’s going to give me a heart attack LOL, heart disease runs in my family! Any tips on how to be as healthy as possible while doing keto? I’m in love with it otherwise!!! Thank you!!!

Replies

• Kahley_France
    Kahley_France Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would consider taking a magnesium supplement as well!

I have been Keto for almost 3 years, and at this point I abstain from eating little to no processed foods whatsoever.. that made the biggest transition in my body besides the weight loss. My skin improved dramatically, nails/hair grew faster and I just overall felt stronger. It can be really difficult/expensive but I can assure you it is absolutely worth it!
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Please see your doctor. There could be any number of reasons why you're experiencing these symptoms, but best to be safe! And as someone else said, balance is everything. Make sure you're eating good quality eggs and grass fed butter if you can, don't overdo the heavy cream, make sure you're eating good healthy nuts like pistachios, almonds, pecans or walnuts, get plenty of vegetables and load up on those omega 3's. Get your salmon and other good sources in. I also take an omega 3 supplement daily. Best of luck.
  • kirstenvalentine
    kirstenvalentine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on a different diet for different reasons but it's having near-keto like impact on what I eat. With cutting out all my normal sources of carbohydrates, I've been shocked at how few calories a lot of vegetables have: greens, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, etc. It's made me realize that if I were to do keto, I wouldn't have to eat only meat & fat: I can have a very vegetable-y diet with my plate dominated by lots of low-carbohydrate vegetables and still have keto macronutrient balance. If you're feeling issues in your chest that should probably get checked out by a true medical professional. But on the what-you-eat side, I'd urge you to try to get your nutrients from healthy, whole-food sources. Your fats and proteins from eggs, healthy meats, nuts, avocados, etc. and your carbohydrates from vegetables.
  • joefettucine
    joefettucine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Use caution in overdoing the fats and make sure it's healthy fat. Focus more on high fiber intake, low net carb, healthy protein, and cooking with healthy oils and fats. Too much MCT can be a bad thing, too. Get accustomed to making much of what you used to buy, which is great for keeping your activity levels up. Personally, I believe more in Paleo from personal experience. Lost weight on both, had more GI issues from keto and fixed them with Paleo.