Supplements

Options
Are there any supplements you have tried and would recommend? I’m debating trying greens from 1st phorm and BCAAs. I’m working on reducing body fat and building muscle.

Replies

• KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I take a B & D vitamin supplement each day with breakfast. I try and eat a balanced diet with in my calories as well.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Supplements for what? Unless you are doing recomp, you aren't going to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. You can be in a calorie deficit to lose fat and work to maintain as much muscle as possible. You also might see some increase in strength during that time, but not actual muscle gain.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    The only supplements that you should need are to actually supplement things that you aren't getting enough of through regular diet. For some people that's protein. For others, it's fruits and veggies. And for still others it's vitamins and minerals. Don't be taken by the manufacturers that try to sell you their products and marketing them in a way to make you think that they are better than just regular, old food.

For myself, I supplement Vitamin D and Vitamin K and Iodine because I'm deficient, and Calcium because I have a family history of osteoporosis.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The best way to reach your goals will be
    to get yourr calorie intake, protein and training in order first. If you have issues reaching your protein goal (for muscle maintenance/building I would aim for minimum 0.8-1g per lb goalweight) you can use a supplement. I like plain whey. I also take multivitamins, fish oil and vitamin D.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Most supplements have either no effect at all or such a very minimal effect that they will really only be noticeable to people trying to get the last .001% out of their progress. Much better to just focus on eating at your calorie goals, your macro, and your exercise.
  • Spectre1966
    Spectre1966 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All the trainers Ive worked with steer me away from supplements in favor of getting what I need from eating healthy and eating good foods. I do take some supplements like Mg, B2, D, and Tumeric for overall health and maintenance, but for the most part, I avoid supplements.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Supplements give you expensive pee.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Supplements should really only be taken when you have gaps in your nutrition. Typically it isn't necessary until around age 40 or older, unless you have a really poor diet.

They certainly don't aid in weight loss. The only thing that does is caloric reduction combined with regular exercise.

I'm over 50 so to ensure I am getting all the nutrients I need I take only a high quality multivitamin for men 50+ and a fish oil supplement for cardiovascular health.

The rest comes from eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I take a women's gummy vitamin daily (it's actually six gummies) because I got a free bottle; I'll probably not replace it when they are gone but I'm enjoying them because they taste good and are like a little candy snack. I also take fish oil on occasion. I personally need to look into ways of upping my calcium and potassium.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    If you find that you are lacking fresh fruits and veggies or have issues digesting them, I don't see a problem with using a veggie supplement. 1st Phorm has a good product line. However, I would warn not to get to caught up into a long list of products or brands. What your body needs more than anything is quality food, water and exercise.

Some protein supplements already contain BCAAs, so I would not consider that a product to buy separately or is even necessary for the average person who is just getting started.

Supplements are not necessary for weight loss, fat loss, or muscle building. And people will debate the value or lack there of to the end of time. Do what works for you and take advice with a grain of salt.

Good Luck.

• mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You may also want to look into the absorption of all of your supplements. For example. turmeric absorbs better in a hydro-soluble form. Some BCAAs may contain more fillers than others. And, magnesium citrates or glycinates are also better absorbed. Good luck!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are pointless. You're better with a complete protein source like a whey isolate powder.
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I take supplements to help with my peri menopause. Simply One brand- and they’re vegetarian. They help my moodiness & give me energy.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Some people clearly do not know the meaning of woo.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Some people clearly do not know the meaning of woo.

Nope. Pretty sure they are using it correctly. "Super Foods" will get you woo'd every time.

I don't think so. I answered the question that was asked. There are some foods that are known to be very high in antioxidants and are labeled as such. I'm not promoting other people to eat what I eat. Simply answering a question doesn't warrant a woo.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Supplements for what? Unless you are doing recomp, you aren't going to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. You can be in a calorie deficit to lose fat and work to maintain as much muscle as possible. You also might see some increase in strength during that time, but not actual muscle gain.

This is incorrect based on a lot of evidence. If your training is sufficient, you can gain muscle in a deficit. Its not optimal as compared to a surplus but it can still happen, even outside of newbie gains.

OP, what are you hoping to get from a supplement? If anything, whey and Creatine Monohydrate are the two ones I would look like. And if your volume is high and you want help with recovery, than L-Citruline is a good one to go with.