1st 5k- what to expect..?

Options
I'm scheduled to run my 1st 5k run this coming Saturday (Yay!) :drinker:
I'm excited ..not sure what to expect never in my life have i done something like this. I can't help to wonder if there will be mostly skinny people and I will stick out like a sore thumb.:laugh:

I have been training using the C25k App, I have good days and some bad...I'm able to job for 20 mins non-stop.. have tried for more but lately my jogging has not been that great.

Anyways I have a date with the 5k on Saturday, So any tips ? Advice ?
It starts at 7am ...So should I have a light snack that gives me enough energy.

What should I eat and when ?
Should I wake up at 3am and have a smoothie?

thanks in advance =D

Replies

• missolesky
    Options
    bump my first 5k is September 10 and I was wondering the same
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I actually asked this a while ago too but didn't get any responses. Then I came across this and it was very helpful!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on coming this far, what an achievement!

Don't worry about other people, at 5Ks there tends to be a real mix of shapes, sizes and speeds.

If you can jog for 20 minutes non-stop, take a one minute walk break if you need after 15 minutes then the rest will feel like a breeze.

Don't get carried away with race nerves and try to go super fast, stick to your regular pace. You'll find some people overtake you, but you'll overtake others.

For such an early start, I recommend getting most of your fuel from dinner the night before, something satisfying but low-fibre (!) like a pasta-based dish. If you can, get up around 5 and have what you normally have for breakfast - now is not the time to try anything new. You can go back to bed for an hour if you need.

Lay out all your kit and race number the night before so you don't panic in the morning.

Best of luck for Saturday, come back and let us know how it went!!
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You'll love it. I just ran my first last Saturday. I had a Nature Valley granola bar about an hour before the race and that was it (8am start time). The night before I had a pasta dinner, but it wasn't any larger than a normal portion for me. After the race they had water and bananas waiting and I had a couple of each. Don't over think the eating. It's not that big of a deal for 5ks.

As for what to expect, when I walked up I only noticed all of the skinny athletic runners. I thought I was out of my league. It wasn't until about mile 2 that I realized there weren't that many athletic runners and there were a lot more people just like me. I was shooting to break 40 minutes but I ended up finishing at 35:50! You'll be surprised how well you'll do. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and tell yourself you can do it. You'll do great!
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support and the great information :flowerforyou:

Will come back with results :happy:
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Good luck on the 5K.
    There is usually a good mix of people, about 1/2 of the field will be athletic runners who will complete in less than 30 minutes. probably 1/4 of the finishers will be > 35 minutes.

Everybody is usually super friendly and supportive!!

As far as what to eat I would go with what has been working for you on training days. You definitely want to eat something! I would shoot for a high carb breakfast 1.5 - 2 hours before your race.

Get all your gear together the night before so you don't forget something critical (like your shoes)

When you get there do your usual warm up (light jog or walk) 15-20 minutes before the race.

Make sure you use the restroom early enough the lines usually get long just before the race.

Pace yourself in the first half and turn it on at the end, try to make every mile faster than the last.

Start towards the back of the group, if you start at the front you will just be passed by a ton of faster runners. It is much more satisfying to pass the slower runners!!
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Great posts above. Races are always a mix of ages, shapes, and sizes. Some people will walk the whole thing, some will run/walk, some will run, some will run really fast. :)

Definitely eat a good breakfast (whatever you're used to, never eat or wear anything new on race day) 1.5-2 hours before. At my first 5K, I made the mistake of eating 30 minutes before, pushed too hard, and threw up at the finish. (Embarrassing!)

Lay out your stuff the night before, pin your bib to your shirt, etc. Don't go out too fast, walk if you need to, and most importantly....

HAVE FUN!

Best of luck :)
  • Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Like several have said, I normally do a pasta based dinner the night before, not a huge portion, because the last thing you want is a heavy feeling in your belly..
    Lay your things out, if you run with an mp3 player make sure your playlist is ready to go
    I completely suggest eating something before you head out to the race.. My choice was usually a small oatmeal and a handful of cranberries or craisins..
    do hit the restroom b/c it's bad news if you suddenly feel you have to go and you're in the race.. it makes for not an easy jog or run! lol!!
    I always get there about 30 mins early so I can walk up do my stretches and a bit of warm up walk/jog stuff. I move towards the back of where everyone is lining up b/c it's such a crowded mess in the begining and you don't want to be in the way of the serious runners..It is a nice feeling to pass people as you go as well and really do not look at the sizes of people and compare yourself.. some of us bigger girls have more stamina than some of the skinny ones we think are in great shape! taking a walking break is not a bad thing by anymeans.. listen to your body.

Overall , it's fun, there's always a great comradery and most races I have been to the front runners who finished the whole thing by the time you're in your 2nd mile.. come back and cheer you on and sometime jog along with you..
    At the end they always have water, powerade.. bananas.. sometimes oranges and granola bars..
    It's fun, makes for a wonderful way to start a day!

Best of luck!
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    your thinking too much. treat as a normal run. dont change anything that you'd typically do when planning a 3mile run on a saturday for your 1st one. I personally dont eat since i cramp. you should finish a 5K with needing anything to eat morning of. eat some carbs the day before. maybe take Wed & Thurs off or only walk. you can run the day before but keep fairly short. I also try to get a warm up in before, maybe jog .25 mile at home before heading to location. Relax, dont overstretch, etc.. Remember, its you vs you.
  • tastigger
    Options
    YAY! Can't wait to hear how you did! Jogging for 20 is still an accomplishment and even if you have to intersperse the race with some walks - you will do fine & finish fabulously! :)