Skinny fat...? Especially waist

Options
I know 'skinny fat' isn't the correct term, it is just good for describing it simply. I've always been slim but I really struggle to get definition and loose the layer of fat that would allow for definition to show. Lately it's become more and more prominent of an issue as I feel like i'm gaining more fat, especially on my waist/stomach area as the inches keep creeping up. It's effecting my self esteem, especially because I am already conscious of the fact my body type is like a rectangle, no curvy hips or bust etc, so my stomach is growing outwards, and it isn't comfortable either. I know I can't spot reduce but it's my main motivation.

Anyway to stop the rambling I've included some photos, from the front I feel there is underlying definition but from the side you can see why it's not that prominent. Tips, advice, ways to reduce the fat?

yci866ahdblt.png

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you lift heavy things?
  • Bubblemar
    Bubblemar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Do you lift heavy things?

I did but stopped a few months ago unintentionally for half marathon training, as I do prefer running over weights, but then got halted further with an injury. I would say I didn't notice too much of a change when I was doing weights but maybe I wasn't pushing myself to lift as heavy as I thought?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It's an old thread, so some of the picture links no longer work. But check out this thread.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • Bubblemar
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Sadly genetics seems to determine where we each store our fat. I’ll swap you for my tree trunk thighs if you like?

A SMALL calorie deficit to reduce body fat and/or following a re-comp program would likely give you the results you desire.
    Just be aware that we are funny things us humans, no sooner will you have ‘fixed’ one thing I bet you’ll find something else you dislike about yourself or set a new aspirational goal for how you want to look... there seem to be very few people who are genuinely happy with their bodies.

That is very true, the grass is always greener on the other side, someways it's a positive we are always striving for better but it can also be negative and detrimental.
  • Bubblemar
    edited April 2019
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What are your stats? If you are already lower in weight for your height I would consider recomping to change your body composition;

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

I'm 5.2ft and about 110lbs I think.... I try to mainly go off photos, measurements and clothing so don't weigh myself often. I haven't heard of recomping before, I'll sure read into it.
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    In addition to lifting, you might try Pilates. I found that it was helpful strengthening my abdominal muscles and in improving my posture.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Continue your calorie deficit and do a progressive lifting program. Changes will come with time.
    msielbeck wrote: »
    In addition to lifting, you might try Pilates. I found that it was helpful strengthening my abdominal muscles and in improving my posture.

Agreeing with the above. I do think part of the issue is posture. Styles of yoga that are particular about posture may help as well.
  • Bubblemar
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Posture?

Yep, anterior pelvic tilt going on. Sure does't help things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-CrEi0ymMg

Oh that actually makes sense! I can see what you mean plus I do have issues with pelvis misalignment as well. I’ll for sure look at the video and try Pilates like others have suggested.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Boy is this ever me. And it’s one of the reasons I look in the mirror and still feel like I haven’t lost anything. And then I remember to stand up straight and it’s like “holy cow the tum disappeared!” The problem is remembering to stand up straight. After a while I get an unholy ache between and below my shoulders from the concentrated effort, and back into “S” curve everything goes. Pilates has helped with strengthening core. I have crazy loose hip flexors, and my hammies go from tight to not pretty quick.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I wouldn't say you are skinny fat. I see a lot of excess fat you could lose if you keep eating at a deficit. You need to lose weight to get to what you are looking for.

I agree with this; I don't think it's simply a posture issue. You told another poster that you "think" you're 110 pounds but that you actually don't weigh in often. You also said you're 5'2". Honestly, I would not guess you're 110 pounds by the photos you've provided. I would say you look more like 125.

Owning my like. I don't often tell people to get on a scale, but that's part of why -- before even knowing the OP's stats -- that I suggested continuing a deficit. There is definitely some weight loss that needs to happen before visible abs and a smaller waist.

I'm at a similar BMI (two inches taller) to 5'2 and 110, but marginally lighter, and I don't think the OP looks like my current build...