Hit the Plateau :(

Options
Hi all :smile:

I've been on MFP since 5th Feb and it has been a great aid in helping me watch what I'm eating,

I started dieting (and quit smoking!) in the new year after noticing I was 230 lbs :mad: I lost about 4 lbs on my own before finding MFP and then I lost a further 5 lbs in about 10 days, but I'm now not losing any weight - in fact I've put ½ lb back on! :noway:

I've never felt fitter in years, I'm walking 3 miles a day (without huffing and puffing :happy: ) and keeping to the recommendations from MFP (1380 cals a day), in fact I'm always about 100 cals below. I don't feel hungry at any point so can't understand what's going wrong.

I can't understand why the weight loss has stopped - this happened last time I went on a diet (about 18months ago) and I eventually gave in :angry: but I don't want to be defeatist this time.

Does anyone have any clues? I think 'muscle build' could be one answer but I'm not too sure.

Many thanks

Dave :smile:

Replies

• ninja
    ninja Posts: 3
    Options

I've been on MFP since 5th Feb and it has been a great aid in helping me watch what I'm eating,

I started dieting (and quit smoking!) in the new year after noticing I was 230 lbs :mad: I lost about 4 lbs on my own before finding MFP and then I lost a further 5 lbs in about 10 days, but I'm now not losing any weight - in fact I've put ½ lb back on! :noway:

I've never felt fitter in years, I'm walking 3 miles a day (without huffing and puffing :happy: ) and keeping to the recommendations from MFP (1380 cals a day), in fact I'm always about 100 cals below. I don't feel hungry at any point so can't understand what's going wrong.

I can't understand why the weight loss has stopped - this happened last time I went on a diet (about 18months ago) and I eventually gave in :angry: but I don't want to be defeatist this time.

Does anyone have any clues? I think 'muscle build' could be one answer but I'm not too sure.

Many thanks

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Many thanks

first and foremost....your name.....good one DAVE! not sure what "muscle build" is but building muscle is a major key DAVE
    now DAVE...this is not going to be an overnight quick fix DAVE....it takes time DAVE just like the time it took to get where you are DAVE...drink that water DAVE....read the threads DAVE...hang in there DAVE!
    another Dave on the journey
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Drink your water, and remember, the weight didn't creap on over night, it took a long time to come, it'll take a long time to go :drinker:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    wow, thats a lot of DAVE! :noway:

anywho, make sure you eat your excercise calories and drink a ton of water. its normal for your body to flux and you should sweat a 1/2 pound - be greatful you arent a woman! we go up and down at least once a month...:grumble:
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat all of your calories including your exercise calories. Change up your exercise routine a little. Way to go on the quit smoking. I have been smoke free for nearly 3 years. Keep up the great work
  • ninja
    ninja Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks all, I still can't understand how I haven't lost anything in the past 8 days, but I suppose I feel fitter so that's got to be a good thing on it's own :wink:

Dave
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Use a measuring tape and you might see that you are losing inches. Perhaps you are building muscle, but losing inches at the same time.

The closer you get to your goal, the harder it will be. About every month your body adjusts to what you're doing and you can hit a small plateau. Shake things up. Sometimes that means eating a bit more.

Are you doing cardio that keeps your heart rate up? That will increase weight loss. If you do weight training before cardio it can help make the fat go away sooner.

Have you had your body fat tested? If you are a member of a gym, the personal trainers probably have a little device.

Add a class - tae bo, something - 2-3x per week.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hello ninja,

Part of the process of changing your lifestyle is allowing your body's chemistry to alter and settle. After the initial boom of weight loss, your body usually goes through a period of adjustment where it's not going to burn extra calories, and it's going to try to hold on to fat because it just doesn't believe yet that the change is permenant. Give that a few weeks to months (usually 2 or 3 weeks, but can be up to 2 months sometimes) to settle, then it should start again. Don't let the initial leveling out bother you.