Starting Over After Major Injury/Surgery

Options
JennyRATL
JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
Hey all,

I was pretty regular around here for awhile up until last November.
Fell off a ladder and broke my calcaneus (heel). Required surgery and 5 screws to put it back together. :#:s

I was able to maintain my weight throughout (albeit still about 10 lbs more than my desired state), but now I am back to "normal."

I was doing PT 2x/week up until recently, and am now doing 1x/week. I still have pain and mobility issues and was told I would deal with pain and swelling for up to a year and have arthritis forever. (Y'all--wear good shoes on a ladder, seriously.)

Up to the accident, I was walking or running about 2.5-3 miles 3-4x/week and doing weight training 2x/week and doing great tracking calories and eating more healthfully.

But I'm out of my groove. I'm back at work and not always making good food choices in our cafe, not planning meals/snacks well and drinking way too much rose! I'm gaining weight and feel gross.

I can't run yet (if I ever feel brave enough to, although doc says I can when I feel ready), and even walking can be challenging.

Just need some pep talk to help me get my groove back and figure out ways to get this weight off!

Thanks for reading!

Jenny

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your fall and injury! Just remember, weight loss is mainly about your food choices and exercise is for overall health/strength. Find your calorie goal and stick with it and the weight will come off regardless of any exercise! Good luck and welcome back!
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your injury! I get how hard it feels, i'm coming up to 2 years since i had to have surgery to re-stitch the tissue in my shoulder together after i tore it, resulting in manyyyy "dislocations" (i use "" because there wasn't the tissue in place to just keep the joint in at all).
    I was i'm a similar boat, i managed little exercise whilst injured and recovering, and honestly im only just getting to a stage where the pain is manageable but through diet i have managed to lose the weight i lost when i spent a year pity eating.
    Its so hard but i just found its mindset. It took me a while to accept the pain and changes to how my body moves are my new normal.

Feel free to message if you ever want a chat
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I suffered a torn band under my foot last Fall and had to wear a special boot for a few months. I did a lot of seated exercises- it made a big difference.(though I wasn’t watching what I eat so well) I am flat footed and can’t run. I still need to wear a special bandage (like an ace bandage but more like an open toed sock) to support my foot.

Unfortunately some injuries take a long time to heal. Keep doing anything you can - if you can use an Exercycle, go for it, or lift weights while sitting down, etc.

Remember the benefit of losing weight is it takes pressure off your joints. You can do this!!