Eating out

Options
The husband and I are going to have a date night this weekend and will be eating out at a cajun restaurant. I am trying to stay at 1300 calories and was wondering for those of you who plan on date nights, do you "bank" your calories for the larger meal or do you just plan accordingly? What do normally get at a cajun restaurant that fits into your meal plan? TIA

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I tried to bank a small amount of calories, tried to make smart but still special and yummy choices, and assuming it is a special and rare occasion I allowed myself maintenance calories for the day.

If it's more a once a week thing, i would try to stay to my deficit while banking a couple of hundred calories. Personally I find avoiding the bread basket and skipping alcohol were no brainers, and perhaps skipping apps so I could have dessert or vice versa.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Appetizer is the new entree.

As always you have to be careful there too. Many appetizers can have more calories than an entree.

But usually they’re smaller, cheaper, and are just one item.

• OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Sounds lovely OP ! I offer to drive datenight so my partner can drink and I save on the booze calories. Other than skipping the breadbasket, I drink water and pick the options I fancy on the night, enjoy them and try not to eat until I am stuffed. I get back onto the plan the next day. If I can get some extra exercise in then I do so, but try not to make it a make or break rule because surely the first rule of date night is to have a great date night !. Hope you have a lovely time OP.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My wife and I might get one date night per month...two if we're lucky. We just enjoy ourselves. It's a blip on an otherwise very large radar and that's it. It's not really material to the bigger picture.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i eat less earlier in the day to have more calories saved for dinner, sometimes if it was a lot of food i'll also eat a little less the next day as well.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    also at ANY restaurant, I ask for an extra plate (if they don't have them on the table like Applebees) and literally cut everything in half and put it on the plate to go home. Portion sizes are mostly stupid big. I used to try and just eat half, but I always overate but now I do it first and know I can eat the entire plate that is in front of me.