16:8

Options
Someone recommended this diet to me? Anyone recommend or have tips?

Replies

• cdmolteni
    cdmolteni Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    yep! i'm on the 16:8 so I stop eating at 7 pm and "fast" until 11 am the next day. i usually have hot tea and water during my fasting window in the morning. On the weekends, i'll have coffee with a little bit of fat free skim milk before my window is over. I can't remember the amount of calories that "breaks" the fast but that's just what i do.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Beyond eat an overall healthy diet in the appropriate quantities/calories for your weight loss, gain or maintenance goal within the 8hr time slot that you choose what kind of tips are you looking for?

Personally I disliked it although I frequently naturally skip breakfast, just didn't enjoy having the clock "tell" me when I could or couldn't eat.

Worth a try to see if it personally helps you adhere to your diet (noun and verb).
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't so any sort of fast...However, I do eat lightly for one or two meals and then eat a normal supper. I keep my calories at goal (500/day deficit on average). I am usually hungry-ish until supper, but because I have plenty of calories for supper, I am completely satisfied after that meal and sleep like a baby.

Using ^^^this^^^ - which is simply CICO - I have lost 17 pounds in a little over 10 weeks. 1.2 pounds to go to goal.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    As far as tips, start it slow. Some people have a hard time getting on it and are starving all day till their eating window hits. If that's not the case for you, then jump on it. I personally don't eat till 1 PM and stop by 9 PM. That doesn't mean I'm eating the whole time, but rather I have a meal at 1, and my dinner closer to the end of the day.

Track your calories, weigh your food, etc. That's really what's going to make the weight loss difference if that's what you're after. 16:8 is just another tool to help with your diet, but its not a replacement for calories in vs calories out. For me, it helps me cut the calories I would have had for breakfast, leaving me a bigger budget for lunch and dinner. That means I can eat a more filling meal and not feel hungry after dinner.

You can combine it with other stuff, if youre already on something like paleo, keto, vegan, etc. But its purely optional.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,335 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 my first meal is at noon...I stop eating at 8pm...I am also a keto'er (main reason to reverse type II diabetes) and to lose weight :)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970, at our Intermittent Fasting group here at MFP, I posted a video that discusses the benefits of an early feeding window when doing IF. You might be interested in it. Find us and it and I think it will give you something to think about. Wishing you the best.

• scruff_farrier
    scruff_farrier Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do the 16:8, I eat my first meal at 10 and then my other meal around 5-5:30. So I'm done by 6pm. It really helps me keep my calrioe goals, because I know no snacking after 6. I've been doing it a solid month now. I like it alot. My only tip would be to make sure you make your window work for you. Because I can tell you from experience it's hard to plan dinner out with family and friends if they want to meet up at 8pm or something. Probably not a big deal for most people, but for me it's a slippery slope.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @scruff_farrier, I definitely relate to what you share and your term "slippery slope". I've described IF as anti-social and challenging unless you're a one-man band. I don't have a problem with acquaintances but spouse so agree wholeheartedly about the necessity of picking a smart feeding window that will insure success. Then, it's a matter of selling your nutrition lifestyle to those so they know and accept it, even if with hesitancy. And, to be flexible for those occasional occasions. I made a promise to myself when beginning my current journey that I wasn't going to let ANYONE sabotage my efforts and almost 8 months later, nobody has. Thanks for sharing and wishing you the best.