If you didn't have to work, what would you do?

Options

Replies

• go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Take photos of beautiful things/people
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    You are definitely working Rickiimarieee, you just aren't paid for it!

Definitely. I actually thought about picking up night shift hours 11-7 through a nursing agency so I can pick my own hours but I feel like that’d be too hard on me. Get off at 7am figures about 8 o’clock I get home depending on where I’m at, both kids are awake and gotta get one off to school. Make breakfast, feed my toddler, ON TOP of that I just started potty training so I gotta take him to the toilet every 15 minutes and clean up messes, feed my newborn, burp him and he’s colic so he’s constantly crying for no reason. I have to lay down with him on my stomach for him to calm down. Make lunch, feed my toddler lunch, feed baby, Wait til my toddler takes a nap to hopefully take a nap with him if the baby cooperates, then up again about 90 minutes later (baby will probably eat again), clean the house, make dinner, do homework, clean the house, bathe the kids, groom em, put them all to bed, feed the baby, then go to work then come home and repeat. (Add feeding the baby and the toddler in more than mentioned cause they’re constantly eating lol)
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Definitely volunteer. Maybe get back into art, definitely sew, and hopefully write a book- something I've always wanted to do.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You go rickii! Keep up the amazing job, your kids sound so blessed to have such a loving mother.

Avlucia, so creative! I hope you get that chance to write your book!
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Today, I would go fishing
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    See my family. I live 9 hrs away from them, and it never gets easier. I would go for long visits all the time. I'd also love to travel in general.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Work on music, get a couple degrees and become and become pro cyclist except I’m too old to become pro now.
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Never too old! My dad decided to start running half-marathons in his 50, having never run before!

Family is so important. In this global world where we pursue jobs outside the town we grow up in, it can get very hard to make memories.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Never too old! My dad decided to start running half-marathons in his 50, having never run before!

Family is so important. In this global world where we pursue jobs outside the town we grow up in, it can get very hard to make memories.

I think I am too old (27) I have been an endurance athlete since around 14 and have a resting heart rate of >40bpm but those guys start even before that. It’s literally all they do, train, eat, sleep repeat. Oh yea... a bit of EPO here and there too. Toughest sport in the world.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I would volunteer at an animal shelter
  • SheBeButLittleSheisFierce
    Options
    Travel as much as possible.
  • mbarkitek
    mbarkitek Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Golf
    Paint

It is my dream to start my own charity organization that helps people in need make repairs to their homes.
    since everyone is saying they'd volunteer. haha
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    The thought of not 'having' to work scares me a bit. I think I need a bit of structure, and to be 'told' I have a schedule of sorts.
    Otherwise, if I didn't have to work I think I may lose touch with the world.

My guess is I'd live the way I please. Stay up all night, sleep all day, get a run in daily.

Explore. Pack my car and go on random road trips with no destination in mind. I love going to places I've never been before, even if it's just some rural 4 corners type of community 4 hours north (or whatever). It doesn't have to be exotic or have a rich culture/history, just new to me.

I'd really love to go somewhere in northern Canada, like where there are no roads and I think you have to fly in. Having said that...the idea of no shower or internet is un-cool. I'd probably end up ugly-crying.
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    The thought of not 'having' to work scares me a bit. I think I need a bit of structure, and to be 'told' I have a schedule of sorts.

My guess is I'd live the way I please. Stay up all night, sleep all day, get a run in daily.

Explore. Pack my car and go on random road trips with no destination in mind. I love going to places I've never been before, even if it's just some rural 4 corners type of community 4 hours north (or whatever). It doesn't have to be exotic or have a rich culture/history, just new to me.

I'd really love to go somewhere in northern Canada, like where there are no roads and I think you have to fly in. Having said that...the idea of no shower or internet is un-cool. I'd probably end up ugly-crying.

Work doesn't have to be the only thing giving you a schedule. If it was an option, you could always have set days you volunteer somewhere, or go back to school and learn whatever interests you, have that schedule.

And so many travelers! I always wanted to travel until my GI tract issues raised their ugly head (too many intolerances to trust international food now). But road tripping across USA might be a goal still, if I ever have time!
  • Hulkfan1
    Hulkfan1 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Restore old cars and workout every day....
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Lay in bed and take appropriate pictures of myself and send them to my friends. Then, when I got up, I'd take pictures of my animals and send them to my friends.
  • _Cece_x
    _Cece_x Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Travel around the world 😍
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    You go rickii! Keep up the amazing job, your kids sound so blessed to have such a loving mother.

Avlucia, so creative! I hope you get that chance to write your book!

Thank you so much! That means a lot!!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

People don’t realize how important work is. Being a stay at home mom, (except not with unlimited money) most stay at home moms get depressed. Not because they hate being home with their kids or hate raising their kids, that’s not it at all. Quite lucky actually but without work you lose your sense of accomplishment, sense of identity, your social aspect because you’re not socializing with adults everyday, and you feel like you shouldn’t or can’t spend the money because you didn’t earn it (well for those who were taught they’re suppose to earn what they want). I love being a stay at home mom but in my opinion this has been harder than any job I’ve ever had. I would love to go back to work but I don’t get too. It gives me a sense of purpose other than my kids.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Assuming the not having to work came with no money issues, I'd likely still work, but it would be something like working in a bike shop or some place like REI provided my schedule was flexible as to allow me to travel, go camping a lot, golf, etc. It would definitely be very part time, but something to give me something to do and of interest to me.