Low-Glycemic Index foods, Insulin resistance, PCOS

Options
So allow me to explain the subject- I'm looking for suggestions on low-glycemic index foods or meal plans. I have found charts of the indices but I really don't know what it all means at this point. I'm great at following suggested plans and outlines, so I fugure that'll do.

The insulin resistance and PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) are the reasons I'm looking at a low-GI diet angle. I've just started taking metformin again to regulate my insulin, but I'm not noticing any immediate changes, and I think this might help.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    When you say the Metformin isn't making a difference, do you mean to your weight, or blood-sugar levels?
  • melissasassone
    Options
    It is going to take a while for the metformin to start working in your system. Typically you will see results within the first couple of months when you first start taking the metformin because it is so harsh on your system. It also depends on the dosage, like I am on 2000 mg a day and seem to be doing well with that. But then again everyone is different. I did stop taking the metformin for a while and then when I started again i didn't notice a difference, so you could be having the same issue.
  • sqtolliver
    Options
    Have you tried a diabetes cookbook? I bought one when I was diagnosed with the same thing earlier this year:frown: . It's called "The Ultimate Book of Diabetic Cooking" by Bridget Jones. There is a section in the intro about Glycemic Index ans a decent list of GI values. The dishes are really tasty, it gives the calories and nutrient info for each serving and you won't feel deprived. :happy:
  • Evy79
    Evy79 Posts: 30
    Options
    bump
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've actually been on the metformin off and on for the last 10 years- I've never been able to really stick with it because of the tummy troubles it has given me in the past. (take with food, this medicine that makes you never want to eat food ever again!) I lost about 10-15lbs on my own and just plateaued out for a couple of months, so I talked to my doctor and got back on the metformin, with full intent to stay on it this time.

Other than the upset stomach and wicked indigestion/heartburn, I've noticed this time around that I'm not hungry at all. I'm not sure if it's a healthier, nutritionally satisfying diet or just my body finally burning off the reserves it's fought so hard to keep because of the insulin resistance.

Has anyone else hit a wall like this? In the past, when I've been diligent with taking the medication, eating right, exercising, and all- the weight has come off easily. Maybe it's just too soon to tell, I've only been back on it for a couple of weeks.

trying not to get discouraged!
  • sqtolliver
    Options
    I've actually been on the metformin off and on for the last 10 years- I've never been able to really stick with it because of the tummy troubles it has given me in the past. (take with food, this medicine that makes you never want to eat food ever again!) I lost about 10-15lbs on my own and just plateaued out for a couple of months, so I talked to my doctor and got back on the metformin, with full intent to stay on it this time.

If the GI issue are too much to take ask your doctor about extended release metformin if you're not already on that one.
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I believe I'm on the extended release- way back when I first started taking it my dosage was 3 times a day, which also contributed to me forgetting to take it, and eventually just giving up.

I'm now on 500mg twice daily. It's been getting better as far as the tummy goes, and I have lost a couple of pounds, but nothing to ring out from the bell tower about.

I guess it's better than that stupid plateau though.