Working Parents Squeezing It In

Options
How are you full-time working primary parents doing it? Share your secrets!

I'm working 40 hours/ week, 30 minute commute each way, and have an almost 3-year-old. At 7am I'm up and I get both of us dressed and ready in the morning along with packing 3 lunches/bags. At night I get home around 5:30pm and I'm cooking a meal daily, have 1 hour down time after dinner that includes toddler, then doing bath/bedtime, then shower and bed for me. I'm sleeping 7-8 hours (still interrupted nightly by the kiddo crying).

Where would you squeeze in a daily work out? 5/6am before everyone is up and lose a little sleep? Workout on lunch break but how to shower and when to eat lunch? Workout during evening downtime with the kiddo underfoot? At 830-9 after bedtime? Working out seems to need to include time for showering after...

Tell me how you're taking on the lion's share of childcare with little kids, doing a full day job, and working out daily. I know it's possible. I know people are doing it. I want to join the club, but thus far all of my plans have failed the test of time.

Share what's working for you, especially if it's unconventional or inventive!

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Work out with the kiddo! One of the things I do is go to parks that are about a mile from where we live. I will jog a mile there, let me 3 year old play for a bit, then jog back. My son loves being active and outside so it is a win/win for us.

Another thing you can try is workout videos at home. Our toddlers seem to always want to imitate us, so it can be good bonding time as well (as long as they are not climbing all over us like my son loves to do).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Try a super quick 25-30 minutes workout video first thing when you wake up. A stroller walk or jog would also work and only require an extra 30 min, either before breakfast or dinner(or right after).
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Either a walk around the neighborhood in the evening or riding up the street to the nearest gym that has a daycare for a quick session.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I used to do it either in the morning (wake up at 5) or right after work. I have a little home gym so I can just go down to my basement, and I have a husband so my three year old can either hang out with him or he can come downstairs and hang out with me which is usually what he does since it seems like he is attached to my hip (he has some toys down there). My preference was always to get it done in the morning so I have plenty of time to hang out with my kids and take them to the park etc.. yes I was losing a little bit of sleep, but I just make sure to get to bed by 10pm every night.

Right now my basement gym is not usable so I got a membership to a gym that is right down the street from my work and I go at lunch... I really want my home gym back though.
  • synapse0782
    synapse0782 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Like everything else in parenting, I think the key is to be flexible. Having kids (at least for me) means I'm not going to have the same routine each day and as long as I'm "generally" meeting a goal of working out in some way, most days, that enough. Working out before the kids get up is the best option IMO, because you have the most energy (tho it's hard to wake up) and it's done. We have a Peloton at home which has been amazing. I also like running and I used to go to a gym (where I'd get up at 4:30am - go workout - get ready for work at the gym - then come home and help get the kids out the door by 7:30am. This option obviously requires a partner that is willing to pick up the load in the morning, and it was key to get as much set out the night before as possible - lunches, backpacks, even setting up the coffee so all that was required was to push a button). The gym thing got expensive, though it was the most effective, so now I work out during my lunch break. My office has a gym downstairs, and a shower. This means I eat lunch while working. Funny enough, they also have a Peloton. My husband and I have been planning to have a Peloton "date" - he wfm so we'd just pick a live class and compete. It's fun. If I'm having a busy week, I try to get in a walk with the whole family when I get home (around 6:30pm but this is hard cause we gotta do the whole bedtime thing). No matter what the week looks like, I try to do something a little longer and more intense at least once during the weekend - hike, run, bike ride, really intense gardening session lol, you name it. I have two kids (4 & 6) and work 40-60 hours a week with a 30 mins commute each day.

Just keep trying things until something sticks. Even if it's small, eventually you can expand upon it. You aren't going to go from nothing to gym rat (or whatever) overnight. And keep a sense of humor, no doubt as soon as you figure out your "routine" the kid will find a way to throw a wrench in it :wink:
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I work full-time; my kids are older (8&10). One day a week, I'm up by 530am and at the gym by 6am, go straight to work at 8. Dad puts kids on the bus that morning.

2 days a week, I go to the gym after work/school (by 430pm). Kids take Tae Kwon Do in the same shopping center. I drop the kids in the gym's daycare, change, start workout, run the kids over to their activity, and finish my workput while they are in Tae Kwon Do for 45 minutes.

I also go to the gym every Saturday and Sunday morning. We're all up by 7am anyway. The kids used to stay in the daycare (since they were 1&3 years old), but are old enough to stay home now.

I also use my crockpot for pretty much all dinners during the week, so the main course is ready to eat when we get home.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    noel2fit wrote: »
    How are you full-time working primary parents doing it? Share your secrets!

I'm working 40 hours/ week, 30 minute commute each way, and have an almost 3-year-old. At 7am I'm up and I get both of us dressed and ready in the morning along with packing 3 lunches/bags. At night I get home around 5:30pm and I'm cooking a meal daily, have 1 hour down time after dinner that includes toddler, then doing bath/bedtime, then shower and bed for me. I'm sleeping 7-8 hours (still interrupted nightly by the kiddo crying).

Where would you squeeze in a daily work out? 5/6am before everyone is up and lose a little sleep? Workout on lunch break but how to shower and when to eat lunch? Workout during evening downtime with the kiddo underfoot? At 830-9 after bedtime? Working out seems to need to include time for showering after...

Tell me how you're taking on the lion's share of childcare with little kids, doing a full day job, and working out daily. I know it's possible. I know people are doing it. I want to join the club, but thus far all of my plans have failed the test of time.

Share what's working for you, especially if it's unconventional or inventive!

I'm trying to make sense of your numbers...
    17:30: get home

(7-8hrs of sleep)

07:00 get up.

So you're getting to bed at around 23:00? That's 5.5 hours inbetween.
    1hr downtime = 4.5h left
    1hr bath and getting kid to bed? 3.5h left

If this was me then I'd cook a meal with fresh ingredients in 30 minutes, 30 minutes for eating = 2.5hr left.
    Shower, go to bed 30 minutes max = 2 hrs left
    Well ok, if I really feel like it a bit of tidying up another 30 minutes, but I realized many years ago that I I value my free time over a sparkling clean and tidy flat. Thus it's all a matter of priorities, and having not too much stuff around so that a full clean only takes an hour or so.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    DH and I both work full time. My situation is different than yours though in that my kids are older (13 and 7) and my commute including taking them to school is less than half what yours is.
    If I want to do yoga, I usually get up at 4:30 and do yoga at home, but every now and then I'm able to squeeze it in in the afternoon.
    The kids have to be at school earlier than I have to be at work, so after dropping them off, I often go to work and walk with a coworker before it's time to be on duty.
    My oldest does high school golf so I walk it at her matches, instead of getting a cart, and that makes for a lot more steps. Rec golf just started up for both of my kids, and there is a city park with a paved trail that borders the golf course. DH and I hit that trail for a run on afternoons that the kids practice golf. We'll walk the course and watch them play once matches start up.
    When I was at the point of trying to exercise with a toddler, I put her in her stroller and we walked around my neighborhood. The distance is almost exactly a 5k around my neighborhood.
    If you can afford a gym membership, a lot of them offer childcare.
    Sometimes it takes a while to find what works for you, and as your kids get older and your situation changes, you have to adjust the routine, but keep at it and you'll find something that works for you.
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old and work full time. I attend a gym by my job that has 530 and 630 pm classes. My husband and daughter both attend jujitsu classes while I am at my own gym. This is probably the best scenario and not an option for most parents, I understand. However, if I didn't have the gym or my husband helping with our kiddo, I would find time in the evening to get in a 30-40 minute workout, shower, and still try to get a good 8 hours of sleep. Sleep is so important and often underrated.

You can do it!
  • MeadowRae
    MeadowRae Posts: 46 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I used to do it either in the morning (wake up at 5) or right after work. I have a little home gym so I can just go down to my basement, and I have a husband so my three year old can either hang out with him or he can come downstairs and hang out with me which is usually what he does since it seems like he is attached to my hip (he has some toys down there). My preference was always to get it done in the morning so I have plenty of time to hang out with my kids and take them to the park etc.. yes I was losing a little bit of sleep, but I just make sure to get to bed by 10pm every night.

Right now my basement gym is not usable so I got a membership to a gym that is right down the street from my work and I go at lunch... I really want my home gym back though.

My son is three years old, too. I didn't start working out until he was about 1 and a half years old because I just wasn't sleeping. When I worked in the office I would work out in the morning and get ready for work at the gym. Now that I telework I workout on my lunch break and use my afternoon break to shower. Does your gym offer childcare? Mine does, but I've never used it.

My routine varies from season to season, too. In the winter I go to the gym and lift weights/run on the treadmill (it's about two minutes from my house.) During the summer (running season) I run outside and do quick home workouts in my basement. For the quick home workouts I've heard that beachbody is good. I've been following zuzka light on youtube for workout inspiration for the shorter workouts. There's also a ton of yoga videos on Prime and youtube if you need something low impact. My husband watches our son on Sundays so that I can get my long run in, but my workouts during the week are pretty minimal because it takes two days to fully recover from a long run and I don't want to be sore for the next one.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Do you have a significant other? If so tell them to chip in. Learn to delegate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are good about sharing domestic responsibilities as we know it is important to be able to take care of ourselves and our fitness and health as well.

My wife is a runner and I'm an avid cycling enthusiast. When my kids were younger, my wife would often jog with them in a jogging stroller if I wasn't around to watch them...I used to put them in a cycling trailer on my rides if my wife couldn't watch them.

I hit the weight room on Mondays and Thursdays at lunch and do a full body routine that takes me about 30 minutes. I don't have a lot of time, so I have to be efficient so a full body program is the best route for me. I also don't have any super advanced aesthetic goals nor am I training to be a power lifter or anything, so I don't need a lot of volume and long workouts and tons of time in the gym. I can either shower at the gym real quick or I keep wet wipes in my office along with deodorant, etc. On Wednesdays I usually do a ride that is about 45 minutes of my lunch break.

On Tuesdays I work in a different location and there is an indoor pool about 5-10 minutes away. I typically work through my lunch and leave at 4PM to go lap swim and usually spend about 45 minutes there. My wife lifts with a personal trainer on Friday after work, so I pick up the kids from school and take care of getting them dinner, etc. Typically Friday is my rest day since I'm watching the kids in the evening.

My wife typically runs in the evenings...we alternate cooking duties so she usually runs on evenings that I'm cooking dinner.

Weekends are really where it's at for us. Depending on what's going on, I usually go out for an hour or two ride on both Saturday and Sunday either before or after my wife does her runs. Sometimes *kitten* happens during the week that interrupts my schedule, so I always make sure I hit it on the weekends...I pretty much never use my weekends for a rest day.

• oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I trained for a marathon with a full - time job and 3 kids under 4 at home. I was a little bit cray-cray and it certainly isn't for everybody but I know how difficult it can be to find time. I used to run at lunch (and yup, I was sweaty after but I had a quick rinse off - not including my hair, and I could eat afterward at my desk). People were used to seeing me with a red face after lunch. My long runs were almost all at night after I put my kids to bed. I literally ran from 9 pm-midnight sometimes. I couldn't make myself get up in the morning to work out because if I had a bad night and was up with the kids, I would make the excuse of being tired to keep myself in bed. I'm lucky though in that I can fall asleep relatively easy after exercise so doing it at night doesn't bother me. We all have 24 hours in a day, you just need to find 1 hour for yourself :)
    You make 3 lunches so presumably have a partner to help. Perhaps they can look after meal prepping/dishes 3X per week so you can exercise?
    The struggle is real!
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Currently, I have 45 minutes in between when I am off work and when I have to pick up kiddo from daycare, so I usually do a quick 25-30 minute workout then. Prior to having this schedule, I did a home workout first thing in the AM when she was having her morning cup of milk. It usually ended with me using her as a weight for some exercises as she got fussy. I also did a lot of stroller jogs when she was younger, before bedtime.
  • MamaKL5
    MamaKL5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think if it's important enough, we will find the time. I also work full-time & have a 2.5 year old. Sometimes I do it, and sometimes I don't, but when I don't, it's usually due to my own excuses than actually not having the time. I have a treadmill, so I use that or I like to do Fitness Blender videos which my son absolutely loves to do with me (he asks to workout now, and has his own 2lb weight lol). We also love to get out and go for long walks/wanders on the weekends.
    I understand not wanting to get up early to workout (I am not a morning person), but if it's the only feasible option, why not try it for a few days and see if it works for you?
    Good luck!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Work full time, 2 kids and help husband with his business. My only free time is before everyone wakes up so I'm typically at the gym by 5am for an hour 4-5 days a week. You just have to make time for you.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I work full-time, 30 minute commute each way, and my son is not quite 2.
    1. My husband and I usually make 2-3 dinners each week and leftovers the rest of time. We always make the dinner that takes the longest to prep/cook during the weekend and deliberately plan quick and easy meals for any that will have to be made during the work week.
    2. We each make our own lunches and do our own laundry. We share other communal chores like vacuuming, dusting, yard work, and parenting. But each adult is generally responsible for themselves. I don't know if you have a significant other but you only mentioned 1 child however you are making 3 lunches every day.
    3. What time does your child go to bed? Mine is in bed 7:30-8 each night and I go to bed at 10. That leaves me 2 hours to do a few chores/cleanup, 30-minute workout at home, and relax a little. Admittedly there are plenty of days when I'm just tired and spend those 2 hours doing the minimum cleanup and then crash on the couch.
    4. I typically shower right before bed. You could also get a little earlier and shower first thing in the morning to give yourself more time in the evening.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Great ideas here and I think trying a combo and seeing what sticks might be best since life is unpredictable at this stage. I didn’t mean to make my husband out as less than equal- he does basically everything except clingy toddler and food prep: dishes, dog, laundry, daycare drop off and pick up. Maybe lose sleep one day in the AM, leave kiddo with Dad alone one day, and squeeze in one sweaty lunch session would be best- that way no one thing kills our daily routine every day, but everyone can deal for one day a week. Also never resting on a weekend day is smart! That’s wide open time!
  • Hwlf84
    Hwlf84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 4 yr old and an almost 2yr old.
    I get up early ie 6 and go for a run every other day (only 40 min from time I leave door) and my husband gets the kids up. Then when I get back I shower and take them to nursery ( or sometimes he takes them in).
    Then I try and do yoga or strength some of the other days for 20-30 min max after they’ve gone to bed or on wkend when one is napping I let the other watch tv while I do 20 min!
    BUT I didn’t sort my exercise and diet out until I’d finally sorted my youngest’s sleeping out (a few months ago). I know people have different attitudes to sleep and kids but for me it was completely impossible for me to focus on my health until I got the main fundamental back - which was me sleeping through the night most nights! I was too tired and too low willpower before.