Building Legs

Options
So I understand you can't spot reduce, etc, but I have encountered a bit of a problem in my training. My upper body is extremely trim, almost to the point where I feel it is TOO thin. My lower body (legs) where I primarily carry my fat, I would still like to add muscle/reduce fat.

My current training routine is 5-6 days a week, 30-40 minutes (the most I can squeeze in with my schedule). I rotate through weights for arms/abs, weights for legs/abs, cardio (3-4 mile run). If I can't hit the gym, I'll try to squeeze in a HIIT video workout or something like that.

I am 5'5" and 125lbs. I eat between 1500-2000cal, depending on the day and what I've done for exercise. I don't want to loose weight - I want to build more leg definition. Any recommendations for a change I can make to help this process? I can't lose more weight up top without starting to look sickly.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would look into recomposition to lose fat and build muscle over time. So eat at maintenance, follow a proper lifting program (this will be key), get adequate protein, be consistent and have lots of patience.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I should add: my leg weight routine is squats, deadlights, hip thrusts, single leg lunges, curtsy lunges, and other various things as time allows.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Are you following a program that has you progressing over time, that also allows for adequate muscle stimulation and recovery?
  • sshintaku
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would look into recomposition to lose fat and build muscle over time. So eat at maintenance, follow a proper lifting program (this will be key), get adequate protein, be consistent and have lots of patience.

I know recomp takes a long time, but I am not quite sure what "a long time" looks like before I should see some results. Are we talking 3 months? 6 months? A year? I am willing to do the work but I would like to know how long to wait so I can make sure results are actually happening.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I can only comment that your build sounds like mine. And to be realistic, you may never see leg definition. Not without getting competition lean. That's just the roll of the dice with regards to fat storage. When I had my BF measured, I was 7% on my torso and 25% on my legs. The upside is it's pretty easy to rock abs. You can continue to build your legs with lifting though if you want to add muscle. The more muscle you have, the better chance of defintion showing.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    sshintaku wrote: »

I know recomp takes a long time, but I am not quite sure what "a long time" looks like before I should see some results. Are we talking 3 months? 6 months? A year? I am willing to do the work but I would like to know how long to wait so I can make sure results are actually happening.

It can take years. But time is going to pass anyway.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    sshintaku wrote: »

Honestly, it can take anywhere from months to years.

Alternatively you can lose a bit more weight, hope it doesn't come off your upper body (which unfortunately it probably will if that is where you lose fat) to lower your bodyfat%, then run a bulk cycle to build muscle in your upper and lower body. Then you would run a cut to lean out again. But see that will take at least a year or more to do all that.

No matter how you go about it, body composition changes when you are closer or at goal is a long process! I would consider recomp for your goals. Make sure to take lots of photos and measurements.
  • sshintaku
    Options
    I can only comment that your build sounds like mine. And to be realistic, you may never see leg definition. Not without getting competition lean. That's just the roll of the dice with regards to fat storage. When I had my BF measured, I was 7% on my torso and 25% on my legs. The upside is it's pretty easy to rock abs. You can continue to build your legs with lifting though if you want to add muscle. The more muscle you have, the better chance of defintion showing.

Haha yea, I think part of this is that I just need to accept that realistically my legs will never look as lean as I would like them to. It is nice to hear from people in the same boat though :D
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

It can take years. But time is going to pass anyway.

Yes!

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Make lower body training your priority; 1/2 your body deserves at least half your weight training sessions. Increase your training frequency & give yourself plenty of time to gauge progress.
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A lot of people love traditional strength workouts, but as an equestrian you might consider cross training your horse in dressage? That can be a killer leg workout for you, not just for your horse! Or three-day eventing if you're a little crazy, or still young. Hunter/jumper uses a lot of core stability, and works your lats, biceps, TRICEPS considerably more than your legs.

I'm pushing the final limits of middle age and just shaking free from obesity, but once upon a time I was young and fit. Best leg definition I ever had was when doing ballet. I was serious about it, not just taking a weekly one-hour class, but that stuff right there will give you rock-hard quads and calves.

I'm not putting down traditional strength work (I do love my squats), but I thought it might be interesting to throw a couple of different ideas into the mix. We do tend to recycle the same ideas pretty often, or at least I do, and today I was inspired to think outside the box just a bit
  • sshintaku
    Options
    A lot of people love traditional strength workouts, but as an equestrian you might consider cross training your horse in dressage? That can be a killer leg workout for you, not just for your horse! Or three-day eventing if you're a little crazy, or still young. Hunter/jumper uses a lot of core stability, and works your lats, biceps, TRICEPS considerably more than your legs.

I'm pushing the final limits of middle age and just shaking free from obesity, but once upon a time I was young and fit. Best leg definition I ever had was when doing ballet. I was serious about it, not just taking a weekly one-hour class, but that stuff right there will give you rock-hard quads and calves.

I'm not putting down traditional strength work (I do love my squats), but I thought it might be interesting to throw a couple of different ideas into the mix. We do tend to recycle the same ideas pretty often, or at least I do, and today I was inspired to think outside the box just a bit

Sadly my horse is an old man now mostly in retirement, but for sure, I had some leg muscle when we were really in our hard training days!