Too much Protein??

Options
I've noticed that from my food log that I seem to be over my protein goal 20-40 points on nearly a daily basis. I don't really eat that much meat - I get most of my protein from eggs, dairy, and beans. When I do I have meat it's usually fish or chicken.

Is it bad health-wise to be over in your Protein intake that often? What do you all think?
What can I do to lower the amount that I eat without staying too low in my daily calorie intake?

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your protein way too low to begin with in my opinion. I think the protein/carbs should be completely reversed. I changed my settings to 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat --- I easilly get 100-150g protein a day -- all from meat, greek yogurt, protein shakes etc.

More protein is good, keeps you feeling full longer, gives you energy ---
  • JME67550
    JME67550 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree with MissMaryMac33, MFP defaults to too low protein. When doing P90X, I'd shoot for 1g/lb of body weight/day.

Some of this depends on your goals as well.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    it is just set too low and you are probably fine
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on protein too. That's a good idea MissMaryMac33.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I reset mine and increased intake in line.
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    I'm always over too think they may be right set too low maybe... I wouldnt worry too much about it :happy:
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    High protein consumption is only a concern for those with kidney or liver disease.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I too eat more protein and less carbs than recommended. I have hypoglycemia and a higher protein, lower carb diet works best for me. Too many carbs--especially of the refined variety--leave me feeling tired. Can't do sugery stuff at all bad blood sugar swings. I have been doing this for years and all of my blood values are normal.
  • nsyl2350
    nsyl2350 Posts: 11
    Options
    The issue comes up, what does your body do with the extra protein in your body, on days that you have consumed a lot. Unlike carbs, that are stored into fat cells, protein, not digested by your body, will be washed out when you go to the bathroom. It doesn't linger around and get stored for future use. That's why i always look to have protein taken in throughout the day, instead of one big meal of meat, eggs, powder and the likes. Average intake for a person working out should be around 1 gram of protein for every lb of bodyweight.
  • Positive_Energy73
    Positive_Energy73 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I always eat more protein that what's recommended on here. I would say don't worry about it. It's set pretty low.
  • Misty1777
    Options
    bump
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    I hate to be the lone dissenter, but some research shows that too much protein - especially animal protein - is a precursor to and cause of disease of all sorts, including cancer. The book 'The China Study' by T. Colin Campbell makes this case with compelling clarity. I am a 54 year old vegetarian who aims for 70% carbohydrates, 20% fat, and only 10% protein. I walk 3-4.5 miles every morning, do strength training, garden, and am very active overall. I have more energy than I know what to do with, sleep like a baby at night and am rarely sick even with a cold. It works for me. I eat as clean as possible, no junk or processed food, lots of fresh vegetables and fruit, NO cow's milk, rarely cheese, and eggs only in baking or cooking.
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    Don't know if this is helpful to you but I found this on a medical site. Since I was wondering about this myself and seem to keep going over each day.

What Are Proteins?
    Proteins are nutrients that are essential to the building, maintenance, and repair of body tissue such as the skin, the internal organs, and muscle. They are also the major components of our immune system and hormones.

Proteins are made up of substances called amino acids -- 22 are considered vital for health. Of these, the adult body can make 14; the other eight (called essential amino acids) can only be obtained from what we eat.

Proteins are found in all types of food, but only fish, meat, poultry, eggs, cheese, and other foods from animal sources contain complete proteins, meaning they provide the eight essential amino acids.

Your daily diet must contain enough protein to replenish these amino acids. Thus, if you are vegetarian and do not eat food from animal sources, you need to eat a variety of plant proteins in combination to ensure that you get enough of the essential amino acids. Examples of foods that provide plant protein include soy, nuts, seeds, legumes, vegetables, and whole grains.

The new dietary reference values for protein for adults are 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. This translates to about 0.36 grams of protein per pound.

However, over the course of a day, the average American diet includes almost double the protein needed to help maintain a healthy body. Using the chart below, you can easily calculate how much protein your body needs.

Adult Weight Suggested Daily Grams of Protein
    for 100lbs - 36 g
    for 125lbs - 45 g
    for 150lbs - 54g
    for 175lbs - 63g
    for 200lbs - 72g
    for 225lbs - 81g
  • jellycar
    jellycar Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise! I upped my protein goal slightly since a good part of my protien intake comes from beans and nuts. I don't think I'm overdoing it with the animal protein.

Thanks again :happy:
  • sandradavis359
    Options
    The good thing about protein is that once your body has enough to keep you going and repair its self and extra that you have eaten that you don't need will come out in urine.
    Everyone has a different idea on what protein requirements are. Vegans and Vegetarians will tell you that you only need 20g a day and bodybuilders will tell you 1.5g per pound of body weight.
    If you're maintaining muscle and feel fine you're probably fine.

http://www.expresspharmarx.com/
  • WendyHJ
    WendyHJ Posts: 60
    Options
    The physician who is supervising my diet said my protein intake needed to be higher than my carb intake, and my first meal needed to be 25-30 g protein. So my settings are 40% protein and 30% each carbs and fat. Daily goal is 120 g protein and stay under 100 g carbs, but in the month since I started my diet I haven't managed to hit those numbers yet.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your protein way too low to begin with in my opinion. I think the protein/carbs should be completely reversed. I changed my settings to 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat --- I easilly get 100-150g protein a day -- all from meat, greek yogurt, protein shakes etc.

More protein is good, keeps you feeling full longer, gives you energy ---

I agree with this.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/25/becoming-heart-attack-proof/?hpt=hp_bn6

Dr. Gupta agrees with Dr. Campbell about the link between too much dietary protein - specifically animal protein - and the diseases that plague us, i.e. cancer, heart disease, diabetes, alzheimers, etc. Note that people these days eat significantly more animal protein than at any time throughout history.

"Simply put, Campbell’s research team found people who ate the most animal-based foods also had the most chronic disease. As important, people who ate the most plant-based foods were the healthiest. Campbell went on to describe the specific connections between nutrition and heart disease, diabetes and cancer. He also wrote of the ability to use nutrition to reverse these conditions – something that can start at almost any age."
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I personally don't feel like I have too much protein, and I also go over every day. Half my diet is usually protein and I eat tons of veggies and beans as well.

If your eating a moderate carbohydrate, low fat, moderate protein diet, I wouldn't worry about it much. The link to chronic diseases is really in the amount of saturated/trans fats and in genetics.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Dr. Campbell begs to differ with you about the genetic link. He is a well-renowned doctor and scientist, I believe I'll take his research. the book is The China Study and it is very enlightening if read with an open mind. :)