Losing weight saved my life in a way I never could have guessed!

Options
I finally decided life was too short to be constantly thinking about food and wishing I was thinner so I decided this was it I would lose the fat.

I was too scared to get on the scales at that time, but I know I must have been around 15 stones or 210lbs. Im a woman in my mid 50's 5ft 9 and my joints were crying out under the extra weight. I spent around 18 months to two years to reach my goal of 147lbs I felt great and started wild swimming canoeing walking.

My daughter was due to get married and I thought I would just like to shift another 7lbs so I started working on that. Threee weeks before the wedding I was laid in the bath thinking at last I would feel ok about being photographed at the wedding , and that the dress fitted comfortably and absent mindedly I was checking my boobs for lumps as I always did....
you guessed it I found a lump...

a week later it was confirmed as cancer and I was looking at a long road ahead. I didnt tell my daughter until she returned from her honeymoon, the wedding was wonderful and I kept my chin up and loved every moment. They had a perfect day.

Long story short. If I had not lost that weight there is no way I could have felt that lump. The fat in my breasts had been hiding it and only when I lost that bit more weight was I able to feel it and realize it shouldnt be there.

My oncologist told me that the chemotherapy was made far easier because I was not overwieght so less drugs were needed and after 18 months of treatment, here I am in remission, no cancer right now and I know that if I had not lost that weight that lump would have spread, it was quite aggressive so I am so lucky to be here.

I have put back some of the lost weight since chemo and radium treatment, but I am happy, thankful and gently losing those extra pounds again.

I would never have dreamed or even considered that losing weight would save my life but it has and I now have the rest of my life to be thankful that I made my mind up to lose weight that day

Replies

• Andia15
    Andia15 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's amazing... well done you for being consistent and I'm glad it all worked out well for you... best of love health and happiness to you 💖
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. That's not something I had ever considered but makes perfect sense. Best wishes for your continued health!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    And thanks also for reminding us to check ourselves regularly.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Your story made me cry.😢 I'm so grateful you shared. Hope you continue to do well.
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that inspirational story. I'm glad you made it through the tough times and can help others with your success!
  • huddleup
    huddleup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational story. It gave me the encouragement to keep on going.