I can’t seem to lose weight unless I starve myself

Options
I’m 5’2” and 147lbs (67kg), my ideal weight is around 52-55kg so I need to lose 12kg.
When I was in school, I learned that average calorie intake for women is between 1,800-2,000 calories but if I eat between that range, I gained weight.
This app suggests I eat 1,200 calories but I always end up eating around 1,500 because I’m always hungry, and I just keep gaining weight? I don’t understand. My friend eats 2,000 calories everyday and her body is normal/ she maintains her weight.
It seems like I can only lose weight if I starve myself. If I eat under 1,200 calories I lose 1kg every 2 days but I always end up binge eating at the end of the week. Why is losing weight so hard?

Replies

• eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    How much you need to eat to maintain your weight depends on you size, weight and age. For someone with your stats, my guess is your maintence if you are sedentary is around 1700 calories. So if you eat 1500 calories, you should lose around .25kg per week.

How long are you giving it before you declare that you are not losing weight? Because of normal water weight fluctuations, it could take a month or even more to notice it on the scale. If you are giving up after a week or two, you might have been losing fat, but just not seeing it on the scale yet.

When you lose big like that from undereating, it is not fat loss, but water weight loss. There are more than 7000 calories in a kg, so you do not lose that every two days by cutting a few hundred calories, it is not possible. It is likely the water weight.

If you have not been losing on 1500 after trying for a long time, it is likely you are eating more than you think. If you are not weighing everything you eat, it is easy to think you are eating 1500 but instead be eating 2000+.

The other potential issue is that you could have a medical condition that lowers the rate of calories burned. If you suffer from PCOS or another condition, it could slow your metabolism so you burn less than normal.

If you are always feeling hungry, I suggest you switch up your foods. Some people feel full when they eat more protein,more fat, or more fiber, so play around and see what works best for you. Also try to eat foods that are not calorie dense like vegetables that will fill you without many calories.

I’ve been trying to lose weight since last year. I went from 57-58kg to now 67kg.
    On february, I lost 5kg by eating 2 times a day. My diet consisted of bread & eggs.
    I undereat but lost weight doing that. Then I started craving other foods and gained weight again.

This month I tried to keep my calorie intake between 1200-1500 calories but my weight still fluctuates between 66-67, not losing any. I’m frustrated and confused.
  • eleonora1809
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    How long have you been using MFP? How are you logging your intake - are you using a food scale for accuracy? Do you exercise? Do you eat back exercise calories?

Losing 1 kg every 2 days isn’t healthy.
    For the amount of weight you have to lose, a rate of loss of 0.5 kg per week is appropriate.

You may need to adjust your expectations.

I just started this month, but I don’t really keep track on what I eat. I weighed myself everyday. Exercise 2-3times a week, high intensity workout.

Yes. I think losing 1kg every 2days messed up my metabolism. I tried not to eat after 6pm.

My goal is to lose 12kg by end of June so I feel like I need to do things quickly.

Well like I said - you likely need to adjust your expectations. Why the rush to lose the weight? Rapid weight loss often has adverse effects like loss of lean body mass, you may be lighter but you may not have the body you desire. You also haven’t given it enough time - a month is barely enough time to start to see a predictable pattern and if you are alternating between extreme restriction and binging then it’s going to be even harder for your body to get into a rhythm. Consistency is key.

If you aren’t tracking your food how do you know you gain at 1500 cals?

Read this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I don’t track my calories everyday... and yes I think I need to start doing that and be diligent 😅

I don’t know. I’m just used to losing weight quickly by undereating. I don’t know how to do it to achieve it in a healthy way but I’ll try now.

Thankyou!
  • eleonora1809
    Options
    I really, really appreciate all your insightful advices. I need to drop unrealistic approach on how to lose weight and write down what I eat.
    Hopefully I can achieve my goal not only on weight loss but also a healthier lifestyle.

Thankyou so much!
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    One more thing to add, sounds silly but don't focus on your weight. Take regular measurements and pics to gauge how your body is changing. You can look lean even at a higher body weight and vice versa because fat and muscle have different densities. You can lose the fat but if you're working out and eating well you'll also put on a bit of muscle. In this scenario your weight might not change but your body will look different. Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    How long have you been using MFP? How are you logging your intake - are you using a food scale for accuracy? Do you exercise? Do you eat back exercise calories?

Losing 1 kg every 2 days isn’t healthy.
    For the amount of weight you have to lose, a rate of loss of 0.5 kg per week is appropriate.

You may need to adjust your expectations.

I just started this month, but I don’t really keep track on what I eat. I weighed myself everyday. Exercise 2-3times a week, high intensity workout.

Yes. I think losing 1kg every 2days messed up my metabolism. I tried not to eat after 6pm.

My goal is to lose 12kg by end of June so I feel like I need to do things quickly.

Well like I said - you likely need to adjust your expectations. Why the rush to lose the weight? Rapid weight loss often has adverse effects like loss of lean body mass, you may be lighter but you may not have the body you desire. You also haven’t given it enough time - a month is barely enough time to start to see a predictable pattern and if you are alternating between extreme restriction and binging then it’s going to be even harder for your body to get into a rhythm. Consistency is key.

If you aren’t tracking your food how do you know you gain at 1500 cals?

Read this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I don’t track my calories everyday... and yes I think I need to start doing that and be diligent 😅

I don’t know. I’m just used to losing weight quickly by undereating. I don’t know how to do it to achieve it in a healthy way but I’ll try now.

Thankyou!

Consider the approach in the thread below as a way to gradually remodel the way you eat, so that you hit your calorie goal with decent nutrition, and stay as happy/satisfied as possible along the way:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Track, review, adjust . . . rinse and repeat. :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,438 Member
    Options
    Yes, it’s certainly important to eat fodd that you do enjoy but that keeps you full. Some people prefer fat for that, others protein, yet again others thrive on carbs. Mostly it’s a mix though.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,438 Member
    Options
    Also how often you eat and when is highly individual. I have 6 meals per day and eat in a 9h window. Lots of carbs, esp. bread, pasta, rice. Works for me for feeling full, happy and also for being in a calorie deficit to lose weight.