It’s just not working..

Options
So to sum it up I’m back at it AGAIN.. we’ll trying. For some reason I just don’t have the motivation for this but I do know I want to loose weight. I’ve been soo hungry lately :/ my work doesn’t help either since my boss bakes a cake every now and then or she will buy us lunch.
On Friday’s I make the food list and I even wrote down healthy meals I plan to cook the next week and somehow I still don’t have the motivation for this. After I get home from work I’m completely exhausted. Any advice or what to do?

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

My suggestion is to set one small, challenging-but-manageable goal that moves you toward your goal, like "eat an on-my-food-plan breakfast." You want something challenging but doable for you. Track how you do every day and keep at it until you get to where you are really reliable for that (maybe 2-3 weeks; you want to build a good long streak), and then add another piece of the puzzle. Slowly keep building up the habits and practices that will get you to your goal.

This article by James Clear on motivation is a really good one:
    https://jamesclear.com/motivation

• ercarta
    ercarta Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Connect with your “why”.

If you’re lacking motivation you most likely haven’t thought through why you want to lose the weight in the first place.

Write the question down in a notepad, “Why does losing weight matter to me?”.

Keep the notepad by your bed and jot down an answer before bed and first thing when you wake up in the AM. Give yourself permission to be vulnerable with your answers. The more authentic the answers, the more productive the exercise will be.

Eventually if you keep it up, one or some combination of those reasons will ignite something inside of you and send chills up your spine. That’s YOUR why!

Remember it and remind yourself of it when your juju is off. It’ll keep you focused when things get rough.

Eric
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    If you know you don't have energy to cook when you get home, making plans to do so is self-defeating. Instead plan things you can cook on the weekend and simply reheat during the week, and/or find simple meals that don't require much work to put on the table or convenience foods that don't require any work on your part at all. Just make sure they fit within your calorie and nutritional goals.
  • ForAmanda222
    ForAmanda222 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think all the above suggestions are spot on but my first thought was to listen to a few you tubers talking about their weight loss journey it has a bit of vicarious effect on me and increases my motivation.
  • schulztw662
    schulztw662 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    several good tips above. if being exhausted after work is the main problem, I would suggest throwing a half hour walk in every day after work. I know it sounds counter productive, but I was in the same boat a few years ago. you'll find that as you exercise more your energy will go up and it generally doesn't take long. You'll likely notice a difference within a week.
  • leahk80
    leahk80 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I take it day by day. When I go food shopping, I buy rotisserie chicken(makes about 3 meals) divide it up into 4oz-6oz portions, sometimes 3oz. I also buy ground hamburger and either make taco meat or I make meatloaf muffins, makes 6 muffins, have two at meal time, makes 3 meals.... watch videos on youtube to get inspiration. if you are tired after work(which I completely understand!) maybe try getting up a little bit earlier before work, go for a walk around the block, or just down to your mailbox and back. :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You need to know what your 'why' is. If you can't figure out what your motivation is to do this, then you are just going to tread water with no direction. What are your goals? Are you having health issues? Do you want to run a marathon? We tend to have too much going at night during the week to cook, so we prepare most of the meals for the week over the weekend. Crock pots and Instant Pots can be helpful during the week too if the meal preparation is a big issue for you at night as well.