Body pump class

Options
Would body pump class be classed as weight training or would weights in the gym be better on machines for toning

Replies

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've only taken three Body Pump classes, but it seems like a good combo of cardio and weight training. Perhaps you can log in the exercise here by trying to break down the components (for some reason MFP doesn't give you a calorie value for Body Pump). I think you'd get a benefit with toning your muscles with any of the methods you've mentioned. I'd vote for whichever method you enjoy the most, because that's the one that you'll keep doing.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I log it as cardio. Les Mills Body Bump has an entry in the cardio database. When I log it on my Garmin watch, I select cardio.

It's not an ultra high calorie burn, but it's SO MUCH FUN.

I subscribe to Les Mills on Demand and do BP (and other LM programs) at home several times a week.
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom how do you like Les Mills on Demand? My mum doesn't have a decent gym near her and was asking if I knew anything about the at home program.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Body pump, though resistance training, would be more cardio based program than strength based. Resisted cardio, you will have some benefits of weight training, but depending on your goal may be right for you or not
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Would body pump class be classed as weight training or would weights in the gym be better on machines for toning

Really depends on what your fitness goals are. It's primarily cardio with resistance. You will get some of the benefits of resistance training, but you're primarily working cardio and muscular endurance. So, for example, if your goal is to gain more strength, this program wouldn't really be optimal for that as it is focused more on muscular endurance...actual strength gains would be pretty slow.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a combination of both to me.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom how do you like Les Mills on Demand? My mum doesn't have a decent gym near her and was asking if I knew anything about the at home program.

I absolutely love it. There's a great Facebook group that is very active and supportive, too.
  • hopelessdreamer12
    hopelessdreamer12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My body pump class doesn’t do any cardio. We use weights the entire class, so I log it under circuit training.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My body pump class doesn’t do any cardio. We use weights the entire class, so I log it under circuit training.

But becasue you lift light for so many reps itbis more cardio than strength trainig. Resisted cardio
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    "Toning" is a made up word in the fitness industry and has NO CONSISTENT definition. If you want to look longer and leaner, you ensure that your calorie deficit is moderate and consistent and that the exercise regimen is one that helps you to retain the muscle you already have. Normally that's going to be a full body workout with very moderate resistance. Bodypump is a "muscle conditioning" class which is not the same a lifting weights in the gym unless you're doing circuit training. May want to get a couple of session with a trainer to figure out what may work best for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    It's more cardio based because the weights aren't that heavy and the amount of reps per exercise are well past that of one where you're just trying to achieve strength or hypertrophy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lisajames925
    lisajames925 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you I think I will get some advice from a trainer I want to tone up more now rather than weight loss.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Thank you I think I will get some advice from a trainer I want to tone up more now rather than weight loss.

did you read ninerbuff's post above? "toning" is not a thing.
  • lisajames925
    Options
    Yes I did but it’s the word I use for being leaner and the doctor also uses it, as well as other gym instructors so doesn’t really matter what it’s called just want to look slimmer.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    So you want to be leaner without losing weight? Look into recomp. I would recommend heavier lifting for that. Progressive overload...
  • lisajames925
    Options
    Would like to lose half a stone but it’s not really going down for last month think it’s telling me that I m a weight I should be
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Would like to lose half a stone but it’s not really going down for last month think it’s telling me that I m a weight I should be

If by "toning" or "look slimmer" you mean get leaner (fat loss) then you have to make a decision on how you are going to achieve that.

Option 1.
    Eat less, your body doesn't decide what weight you should be - that's your choice. Eat less/move more to shift your calorie balance into deficit and lose that half a stone.

Option 2.
    Stay the same weight and gain muscle / lose fat. BodyPump is far from optimal choice for that. If you put enjoyment ahead of results then carry on but set your expectations accordingly.
  • lisajames925
    Options
    I m doing body pump twice a week, daily walk, combat once a week and have added a swim once a week.