Why do i...

xSophia19
xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
edited October 1 in Fitness and Exercise
always get a stitch from doing Zumba for Wii?

Right - ive started doing zumba for wii everyday now to see if i get any good results from it, as ive given up the 30DS! (just cant do it), i start zumba at a good pace, i follow every move correcrly from the person on the tv, but then like 10 mins into the dance i get a stitch on the right side of my stomach. I dont give up zumba just because of the stitch, i carry on untill ive finished the whole 45 mins whether im in pain or not!

I dont know whats causing this? Is it because i might be dancing a bit too fast, then slowing down a little, then fast again? Or could it be that ive not eaten something little before? Or ive eaten too much?! I just dont know! And its starting to bug me now!!

Any suggestions as to why i keep getting these, would be really appreciated :)

Thanks in advanced x

Replies

• ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    I think its do with your breathing. I used to get them a lot whilst running cos my breathing was rubbish, I slowed down till I could comfortably breath and made sure I was inhaling through my nose and exhaling out my mouth then I was fine. Or you could be eating not long before your workout? I will get them if I workout less than 2 hours after a main meal.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    O.O I get the same stitch on the right hand side. Right under my rib. I normally stop for a second and rub it out.

I chalked it up to normally about 10 mins into most of the dances there is alot of hip movement and hand movement causing pressure on that area.

I also find that stretching BEFORE doing zumba helps stop the stitch.

I do Zumba every day on the xbox and just started 30DS as well.

Keep up the good work!
  • xSophia19
    I think its do with your breathing. I used to get them a lot whilst running cos my breathing was rubbish, I slowed down till I could comfortably breath and made sure I was inhaling through my nose and exhaling out my mouth then I was fine. Or you could be eating not long before your workout? I will get them if I workout less than 2 hours after a main meal.

It actually could be my breathing!! I breathe in and out thro my nose as my mouth is always shut lol! Think ill try and breathe better like how you said to do it! =), i workout about 2 hours after food =/ thankyou
  • xSophia19
    O.O I get the same stitch on the right hand side. Right under my rib. I normally stop for a second and rub it out.

I chalked it up to normally about 10 mins into most of the dances there is alot of hip movement and hand movement causing pressure on that area.

I also find that stretching BEFORE doing zumba helps stop the stitch.

I do Zumba every day on the xbox and just started 30DS as well.

Keep up the good work!

Yeah its the hip movements and rolls that give me the stitch! I think i will stretch before doing zumba lol :) thanks
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287

It actually could be my breathing!! I breathe in and out thro my nose as my mouth is always shut lol! Think ill try and breathe better like how you said to do it! =), i workout about 2 hours after food =/ thankyou

Hope it works, it did for me...I never realised the importance of breathing until I did yoga and meditation, I mean I have been breathing all my life:laugh:
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member

Right - ive started doing zumba for wii everyday now to see if i get any good results from it, as ive given up the 30DS! (just cant do it),
    Why cant youu do the 30DS....i nearly died doing it the first time, i stopped 15 mins of forcing myself.
    The second time i did it a week later i quit 18 minutes into it....
    The third time i did it i ACTUALLY DID IT!
    I have done it a 4th time but hey you have to build up for it! I need to get into the routine of doing it but its hard when i some times lack the opportunity!
    I have done a few turbo fire classes and had a stitch, im not sure why i had it the second class but not the first or third...
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member

Right - ive started doing zumba for wii everyday now to see if i get any good results from it, as ive given up the 30DS! (just cant do it),
    Why cant youu do the 30DS....i nearly died doing it the first time, i stopped 15 mins of forcing myself.
    The second time i did it a week later i quit 18 minutes into it....
    The third time i did it i ACTUALLY DID IT!
    I have done it a 4th time but hey you have to build up for it! I need to get into the routine of doing it but its hard when i some times lack the opportunity!
    I have done a few turbo fire classes and had a stitch, im not sure why i had it the second class but not the first or third...
    man haha i didnt know this would happen lol
  • I used to get a stitch a lot when I first started zumba as I was unfit but now I've got a lot fitter I rarely get a stitch. However I do sometimes get a small stitch if I've eaten too much just before the class or on certain movements - i.e the sideways hip or upper torso moving ones if I'm really going for it and really trying to isolate my hips from the upper body. I think that's because I'm using muscles that hardly get used and also probably the movement of that part of the body actually effects the breathing physically.
  • I've not tried Zumba, but I used to get bad stitch when running on the treadmill! My trainer advised me to stand up taller and to try to engage my abs at all times (easier said than done!). I still get stitch sometimes, but by tensing my abs and breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth, I can usually run through it until it goes. Give is a try and let me know how you get on.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Don't eat or drink anything an hour before. That helps me not get them when running.
This discussion has been closed.