Dispelling long held myths about dieting, weight loss, etc.

Options
Since I joined this forum in early March, the community has set me straight on a lot of my long held beliefs about dieting, weight loss, building muscle, etc. I've spent my entire adult life believing a lot of what are apparently myths about all the above and more.

Is there a list of resources that cite references that prove/disprove the myths that so many people hold as truths?

One that I've read over and over is that you can't build muscle while losing fat. Another is that your body going into "starvation mode" isn't really a thing.

Help us newbies out!!

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the sources or sites- but one myth I have heard over and over is to drink apple cider vinegar and water or lemon juice and water before each meal and it will cut the fat.... IT never did anything for me- no weight loss or fat loss - nada!!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Have you read the stickies?--most of the best information (voted by MFP members) are in them. If you haven't, check them out.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Yes! @debtay123 The lemon/ACV water is another one! Fortunately, that is one that I haven't held as a solid gold fact.

@snowflake954 I've read many of the stickies, but don't specifically recall these common myths being addressed. It is likely that I may have forgotten or "skimmed" that particular sticky because I read so much in the beginning that I had information over-load.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    -That some bodies need to eat more to lose weight. Usually, the person is already eating more than they think and are not tracking accurately enough.
    -That some bodies are building pounds of muscle while in a caloric deficit, which is why the scale is not moving. Same issue as above.
    -A juice cleanse or water fast can kick start weight loss.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Eating after a certain time in the evening means those calories don’t burn off is another good one - right up there with diet soda will make you gain weight.
    Good luck with your weight loss - you’re in the right place!
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for adding diet myths and for the links! Off to read!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Cant have "sugar" as the person drinks a fruit smoothie!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Cant have "sugar" as the person drinks a fruit smoothie!

Which is first cousin to "eliminate processed foods (but rely on protein powder)". ;)