Options
2»

Replies

• Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You can't do real HIIT for an hour, the intensity (maximal effort in shorts bursts) is far too high for that. 20 mins would be absolutely exhausting if done at the correct level.
    FYI - the ramp up and down suggested by Lift_Run_Eat may be good training but it's not HIIT.

Perhaps if you started off with stating your goals you might get some good suggestions?

A stationary bike is a good choice though for high intensity intervals, whether HIIT or not.
    Personally I do much longer duration intervals as that suits my personal training goals but mostly I use a power meter rather than an app. Sometimes I follow a program from the Wattbike app but that's particular to my brand of bike,

TrainingPeaks and TrainerRoad are two apps cyclists use.

THIS!!!! Real HIIT will wear you out fast!!! The idea is to keep your heart rate in cardio the whole time you do it. Good luck! I use the tobatta app for my HIIT intervals.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    That's a remarkably low wattage for your cycling intervals -

That was my first thought, too. But if you look at the third chart, it looks like he's doing 70w at 130 rpm. That doesn't sound right. I suspect the bike is massively out of calibration.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Suusik wrote: »
    What do you think about this graph (screenshot) I took in a gym?
    Thanks1srks7y3b8p0.jpg

I think the gym needs to check that bike out.

With that said, because the bike can measure your power output, you should completely ignore your heart rate when you use it. Power is the gold standard for exercise intensity, heart rate is a distant second place.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,872 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Definitions aside, what is heavy/hard for ME differs between one person and another.

As long as we're holding the line or improving on our ME, we're winning! Right?

Definition wise, not every type of varying intensity exercise can be called high intensity interval training.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    That's a remarkably low wattage for your cycling intervals -

That was my first thought, too. But if you look at the third chart, it looks like he's doing 70w at 130 rpm. That doesn't sound right. I suspect the bike is massively out of calibration.

On the other hand as the low power, low "effort level = 1" and low HR all match up is it the rpm sensor out of whack? I suspect it's just simply a lack of resistance but would like to hear what effort level the OP is selecting throughout the session not just a snapshot.

FYI OP
    I used an indoor trainer today and the structured warmup (10mins made up of five 2min increasing ramps) started at 100watts.
    Then did what I would call a gentle ride (HR zone 2 @ 130bpm) for an hour at 151watt average.

I'm not an exceptional powerhouse, just an old fart who cycles a lot.
    Do you see why I'm saying your power output is very low? It's not to bring you down, just trying to help you to spend your exercise effort more effectively.

• NorthCascades
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Definitions aside, what is heavy/hard for ME differs between one person and another.

This is an aside and of no value to the OP, or most people really. But you're somebody who seems curious, and you seem to grasp technical concepts. So I thought you might enjoy hearing about how we deal with your observation.

We have this concept to model whether something was easy or hard. If Lance Armstrong and I both make 350 watts, it's the same between us just like if Arnold and I both squat 350 lbs. You can probably guess either of those are harder for me than for a juicing professional, even if a watt is a watt and a pound is a pound. Lifters have the concept of "1RM" the most you can lift once. Cyclists have the concept of the most watts you can average over an hour, mine if 275w. Lance's was probably 400w. Knowing that, you can see that it's much easier for him then for me. Runners do the same thing with pace. We call it "intensity factor."
  • Suusik
    Suusik Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Folks,
    I did not expect such “intense “ discussion about this subject 😎
    Well as I said before I do appreciate input front each of you.
    I just wanted to emphasize again that my goal is not to get ‘exceptional ‘ results but rather feel well and be in a good shape and etc.
    No matter how you call it HIIT or not.
    Obviously I’d like to get max advantage from what I am doing but anyway... appreciate it.
    Next step what I will do during my exercise is to put more attention to watts than to bmp.
    Note that I am doing this “Intervals “ exercise 5-6 times a day while I am walking around and only once or twice a week when I am Cycling in gym.
    For now I am using iPhone app called Intervals which I love because it allows me to track and customize timing (while I ignore bmp)
    Will look into watts and resistance next and update you later.
    Have a good day...