Skinny fat...? Especially waist

Options
2»

Replies

• Bubblemar
    Bubblemar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I wouldn't say you are skinny fat. I see a lot of excess fat you could lose if you keep eating at a deficit. You need to lose weight to get to what you are looking for.

I agree with this; I don't think it's simply a posture issue. You told another poster that you "think" you're 110 pounds but that you actually don't weigh in often. You also said you're 5'2". Honestly, I would not guess you're 110 pounds by the photos you've provided. I would say you look more like 125.

Owning my like. I don't often tell people to get on a scale, but that's part of why -- before even knowing the OP's stats -- that I suggested continuing a deficit. There is definitely some weight loss that needs to happen before visible abs and a smaller waist.

I'm at a similar BMI (two inches taller) to 5'2 and 110, but marginally lighter, and I don't think the OP looks like my current build...

Out of curiosity early, I hopped on the scales and apparently i'm still around 110, but I'm going to try a different pair out to see if it's consistent. Maybe in a few weeks-months I'll be more like your build?
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You have an anteriorly tilted pelvis. I do too. There are exercises you can do (you can google them) to re-align your posture to have a straighter back.

You may also need to lift weights to reduce the body fat. Your body looks like mine - anteriorly tilted pelvis, slim thighs, some fat front and low center. I know that I am "skinny fat" and am going to start lifting heavy once I reach goal weight.
  • Bubblemar
    Bubblemar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Boy is this ever me. And it’s one of the reasons I look in the mirror and still feel like I haven’t lost anything. And then I remember to stand up straight and it’s like “holy cow the tum disappeared!” The problem is remembering to stand up straight. After a while I get an unholy ache between and below my shoulders from the concentrated effort, and back into “S” curve everything goes. Pilates has helped with strengthening core. I have crazy loose hip flexors, and my hammies go from tight to not pretty quick.

Hahaha, yeah I did some exercises this morning, at the end of working out, that make you focus on your pelvis tilt etc and all day tried to remain conscious about my posture and wow it's a hard thing remain aware of and in control of, it's going to take a while to reverse the habit. But...like you said it does make a considerable difference, however as others have mentioned, I don't think posture is the pure culprit, there is fat to be lost too
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I could have posted almost identical pictures about a week ago, except I called it being bloated. I'm in maintenance and am already a healthy weight/BMI, so it was driving me nuts :p To try and fix it I'm currently experimenting with different foods/carb ratios. This is just for me personally-but by cutting my carbs down to under 100g a day and eliminating beans and reducing grains, (went from 5-7 servings of these, down to 0-2 a day), I've completely eliminated the bloated look and now have an almost flat stomach (even at night it's not really big). I know I'm mostly just manipulating water but I don't care-by making some adjustments to what I'm eating I've completely changed how my stomach looks. I don't mind the food changes I've made and my clothes are fitting better so it's working for me, for now.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend you read the first post from this thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

It's full of great info and I think applies directly to your situation.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread, I am in the same boat! Looks like I'll get back to my lifting programme next week :smile:
  • TanyaHooton
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You have an anteriorly tilted pelvis. I do too. There are exercises you can do (you can google them) to re-align your posture to have a straighter back.

You may also need to lift weights to reduce the body fat. Your body looks like mine - anteriorly tilted pelvis, slim thighs, some fat front and low center. I know that I am "skinny fat" and am going to start lifting heavy once I reach goal weight.

Why wait? Start lifting now if you can. Lifting while you lose is how to prevent (skinny fat) in the first place.

I started earlier this year for the exact reason you mention. I discovered that it made me extraordinarily hungry, and that it was ultimately very difficult to maintain a calorie deficit while that hungry. So I put it on hold until I'm at goal.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Why wait? Start lifting now if you can. Lifting while you lose is how to prevent (skinny fat) in the first place.

I started earlier this year for the exact reason you mention. I discovered that it made me extraordinarily hungry, and that it was ultimately very difficult to maintain a calorie deficit while that hungry. So I put it on hold until I'm at goal.

Was your deficit too steep? Did you try playing around with your macros? At the end of the day it is your journey and you need to do what is best for you to succeed.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Keep in mind it is much easier to maintain the muscle you already have while losing (by lifting and getting adequate protein with a small deficit), then it is to rebuild the muscle after you get to goal weight.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think the drawing at the beginning of this article on pelvic tilt is a good visual:

https://www.theptdc.com/5-steps-dealing-anterior-pelvic-tilt

I had that issue. My doctor referred me to a physical therapist. I thought this was a good thing, as the PT was able to show me exercises with proper form so that I wasn't doing them badly. He also recommending certain weight lifting exercises like squats. My posture is better. My body is stronger. I encourage you to get a doctor's referral to a PT.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

Was your deficit too steep? Did you try playing around with your macros? At the end of the day it is your journey and you need to do what is best for you to succeed.

Macros can definitely make a difference for satiation (with or without any particular exercise), and timing of eating also can make a difference. In some cases, I do better with a quick snack before or soon after the exercise. Experimenting a bit may reveal a way to manage the exercise-induced hunger, if you haven't already explored a slower loss rate (smaller deficit), variation of macros within healthy ranges, or different timing of meals/snacks.
  • TanyaHooton
    Options
    I do not want to derail OP's thread. To answer the questions, my daily goal is low because I am sedentary and because I am trying to get from 21.6 BMI to 20 BMI (I have a slim frame). My days are variable because some days I get 9000 steps and some I get 2350, so I can't count on having extra calories to eat back. And my days are also very busy - I have two teenagers in multiple activities, a husband with an erratic work schedule, an aging black lab who needs walks to lose weight, three cats who shed an indecent amount of hair in my house, and a demanding corporate job. So while I wish I had the time and energy and motivation to play with macros or timing, there just isn't space in my day. Something had to give in order to keep losing weight, and I picked lifting weights. It was my decision; I own it, and I am aware of the potential results and consequences. Thank you for your concern.

OP - I got a referral to physical therapy when my lower back started hurting so much that I couldn't enjoy life anymore. They taught me core exercises to realign my posture and to strengthen my core. It was great to have professional guidance, but I've seen the same exercises posted on YouTube and websites so you can google them if PT is not an option.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I do not want to derail OP's thread. To answer the questions, my daily goal is low because I am sedentary and because I am trying to get from 21.6 BMI to 20 BMI (I have a slim frame). My days are variable because some days I get 9000 steps and some I get 2350, so I can't count on having extra calories to eat back. And my days are also very busy - I have two teenagers in multiple activities, a husband with an erratic work schedule, an aging black lab who needs walks to lose weight, three cats who shed an indecent amount of hair in my house, and a demanding corporate job. So while I wish I had the time and energy and motivation to play with macros or timing, there just isn't space in my day. Something had to give in order to keep losing weight, and I picked lifting weights. It was my decision; I own it, and I am aware of the potential results and consequences. Thank you for your concern.

OP - I got a referral to physical therapy when my lower back started hurting so much that I couldn't enjoy life anymore. They taught me core exercises to realign my posture and to strengthen my core. It was great to have professional guidance, but I've seen the same exercises posted on YouTube and websites so you can google them if PT is not an option.

it sounds to me that, in terms of increased health and possibly even better achievement of the look you may be seeking, that what *should give* is trying to lose weight and eating the least amount possible of calories and what should maybe *not give* is lifting weights and exercising for increased health.

Best of luck either way.