Why Is My Body Getting Weaker and Failing Me???

Options
124»

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Hulkfan1 wrote: »
    Any improvement?

Over all, yes. Thank you for asking! I have been focusing on nutrition and hydration. Especially before/after my workouts. I went to 2 classes this week and with both, I started to feel light headed/dizzy, etc. I know it was because we don't get much rest and just keep going. So I need to figure out what to do about that part. However, I drank a ton of water and ate well after and I have NOT had any of the other symptoms.

I just feel like this is not super productive. I want to LOSE weight. Not eat like a pig everyday just to get through....

I guess my question would be, why are you still doing the workouts? Is it the money spent? You don't need to do some insane workout that is clearly over-stressing your body. The best thing for your health might be to tell your trainer he's causing you stress and damage and you're done. Then just do something active and fun instead.

I don't just pay for the trainer. It's the gym membership that includes the trainer classes. I pay more for that and yes, that's why I'm still doing them. That and this just really started being an issue, so I'm trying to see if I can work past it before calling it quits. I'm not sure I can get out of that level membership by saying the workouts are "hard" and giving me issues. But I'm going tonight, and if it's still an issue I will probably stop.

I'd also point out that these are YOUR workouts. You should be able to adjust your weights and your pace as needed. The class you described sounds very similar to one I do at my gym. I had the flu earlier this year and it really wiped me out. I was out of classes for about a month and it was probably another month or six weeks before I could do that class at my usual level. In the meantime, I lifted lighter weights more slowly, did pushups on my knees, walked one lap instead of running two...that sort of thing. I figured any workout was better than none and that if I tried an all-out effort, I'd probably end up flat on my back in bed again. I also typically pull back some in April every year. It's a hugely busy time at work and this year for my main hobby and I've come to realize I have only so much bandwidth during times like this. So I just plan to cut back where I can--lighter workouts, order meals from Freshly, heck, some years I've even sent my laundry out for wash and fold so that I can direct my energy where it really needs to be.

You may just need to drop one of the classes a week or modify your effort. If this sort of bonking out is a recent development, I'd suggest modifying down in some way and then try adding things back in after a month or so and see if it was just a weird phase.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Any improvement?

Over all, yes. Thank you for asking! I have been focusing on nutrition and hydration. Especially before/after my workouts. I went to 2 classes this week and with both, I started to feel light headed/dizzy, etc. I know it was because we don't get much rest and just keep going. So I need to figure out what to do about that part. However, I drank a ton of water and ate well after and I have NOT had any of the other symptoms.

I just feel like this is not super productive. I want to LOSE weight. Not eat like a pig everyday just to get through....

I guess my question would be, why are you still doing the workouts? Is it the money spent? You don't need to do some insane workout that is clearly over-stressing your body. The best thing for your health might be to tell your trainer he's causing you stress and damage and you're done. Then just do something active and fun instead.

I don't just pay for the trainer. It's the gym membership that includes the trainer classes. I pay more for that and yes, that's why I'm still doing them. That and this just really started being an issue, so I'm trying to see if I can work past it before calling it quits. I'm not sure I can get out of that level membership by saying the workouts are "hard" and giving me issues. But I'm going tonight, and if it's still an issue I will probably stop.

I get it, I've wasted money on some stuff that I had a hard time letting go when it wasn't working out for me!

I'll just add that a decent trainer, especially one leading intense classes, should be open to the fact that the workout may be problematic for some people at some times, and be fine with individuals modifying it for their best experience, if not suggesting those modifications themself. If you can either modify the class for yourself or ask the trainer for suggestions to do that, at least it isn't a total waste. When I follow a workout at home, there are often specific exercises that just don't feel right to me so I skip them or change them slightly, places I might go a little slower, that sort of thing.
  • Hulkfan1
    Hulkfan1 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder to have your post work out meal or shakes. Best of luck!
  • sunscoutie
    sunscoutie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Any improvement?

I get it, I've wasted money on some stuff that I had a hard time letting go when it wasn't working out for me!

I'll just add that a decent trainer, especially one leading intense classes, should be open to the fact that the workout may be problematic for some people at some times, and be fine with individuals modifying it for their best experience, if not suggesting those modifications themself. If you can either modify the class for yourself or ask the trainer for suggestions to do that, at least it isn't a total waste. When I follow a workout at home, there are often specific exercises that just don't feel right to me so I skip them or change them slightly, places I might go a little slower, that sort of thing.

Yeah. I also really do enjoy the classes. But after reading some of the responses, I actually just called the manager and told him what was going on. Of course, he wants to make sure I'm doing everything right on my end and seeing where I'm having trouble in the workouts before making a conclusion.

But yes, when there is more than one person in the class i can get away with skipping one to rest, etc. Home workouts, I do the same thing....modify to suit me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Any improvement?

Yeah. I also really do enjoy the classes. But after reading some of the responses, I actually just called the manager and told him what was going on. Of course, he wants to make sure I'm doing everything right on my end and seeing where I'm having trouble in the workouts before making a conclusion.

But yes, when there is more than one person in the class i can get away with skipping one to rest, etc. Home workouts, I do the same thing....modify to suit me.

Glad they sound willing to work with you, hope you get it all squared away!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder to have your post work out meal or shakes. Best of luck!

Why would post workout shake help with energy during the workout? no need for a shake right after, food timing and the window for refueling is much longer than a few minutes or hours. if anything it is meal timing before the workout that is an issue.
  • sunscoutie
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Any improvement?

I'd also point out that these are YOUR workouts. You should be able to adjust your weights and your pace as needed. The class you described sounds very similar to one I do at my gym. I had the flu earlier this year and it really wiped me out. I was out of classes for about a month and it was probably another month or six weeks before I could do that class at my usual level. In the meantime, I lifted lighter weights more slowly, did pushups on my knees, walked one lap instead of running two...that sort of thing. I figured any workout was better than none and that if I tried an all-out effort, I'd probably end up flat on my back in bed again. I also typically pull back some in April every year. It's a hugely busy time at work and this year for my main hobby and I've come to realize I have only so much bandwidth during times like this. So I just plan to cut back where I can--lighter workouts, order meals from Freshly, heck, some years I've even sent my laundry out for wash and fold so that I can direct my energy where it really needs to be.

You may just need to drop one of the classes a week or modify your effort. If this sort of bonking out is a recent development, I'd suggest modifying down in some way and then try adding things back in after a month or so and see if it was just a weird phase.

You are so right! These ARE my workouts! I know they are there to help push people, and a lot of the time it's a good thing. I don't think they deal much with people actually loosing all their steam and not being able to. I also hate being the one in class that can never do anything. there are people twice my age in these classes getting through.

I like your idea of finding ways to cut back on things that take up energy. And I guess it isn't too bad to have to cut out some workouts. I just hate not getting my monies worth.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Any improvement?

You are so right! These ARE my workouts! I know they are there to help push people, and a lot of the time it's a good thing. I don't think they deal much with people actually loosing all their steam and not being able to. I also hate being the one in class that can never do anything. there are people twice my age in these classes getting through.

I like your idea of finding ways to cut back on things that take up energy. And I guess it isn't too bad to have to cut out some workouts. I just hate not getting my monies worth.

But are you really getting your money's worth if you're not functional for two days after a workout? How much are you losing in all the other areas of your life for the sake of that one hour workout? Job/school performance? Personal responsibilities like cooking, cleaning, socializing with friends?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Generally, the way to approach these questions is to keep it simple.
    What's the most likely explanation?
    Probably not enough rest days. They say you should have at least two rest days a week, right?
    Rule that out first. Are you taking two days? Do you feel any better when you go back after a rest day?
    If that doesn't seem likely, and/or changing it doesn't make a difference, move on to the next most likely.
    I would guess that is water. (But I don't know.) Try drinking more for a bit.
    Third, maybe, many women are anemic or, at least, low on iron. (But I am guessing your blood work included that.)
    Next might be food. Do you eat before you work out? Are you on a limited-calorie diet?
    Etc., etc.
    Then, if those things don't seem to be it, move up to the more arcane or weird things.
    The point is start with the most common and rule out one possible explanation at a time.
    Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,905 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Any improvement?

If you tell your doctor what you told us, your doctor can write you a letter that will get you out of that level membership.

This is more than an issue of workouts being "hard":
    Recently, I've been failing half-way through the workout, and then it takes me 2 days to regain my energy. I start feeling almost flu-like. Muscle chills, light-headed, lack of energy, etc. It's gotten to the point I'm nervous to go to the gym.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Any improvement?

One saying I have seen often on this site is “comparison is the thief of joy.” The old folks who are making it through might have been doing this longer, or maybe they are just more naturally suited to this particular regimen, but there is no point competing with them at the expense of your comfort and health. I take a class where I am by far the heaviest lifter and most fit; personally I think other people are awesome just for showing up, but would not be so impressed if they tried to keep up with me without having a solid foundation under their belt, because I want them to enjoy it and do what is right for them. Just have a talk with the trainer beforehand and tell him that you’re going to be modifying a portion of your workout. He is your employee, it’s not the army or anything.

What I think you really need to pinpoint is why you were able to do the workout in previous months, but it is now creating issues. I have had a fun trip to the emergency room for random fainting aka vasovagal syncope, with lots of tests run and no satisfactory answers. It was a well learned lesson not to be a dumb@ss and try to power through the dizziness, as the body has a very effective mechanism for making sure you lay down. :D

I also find it notable that you are fretting about eating 1900 calories a day. You don’t say much about your horse activities, but depending on your type of riding (eg, endless posting with no stirrups) and how many stalls you are mucking and straw bales you’re toting, it can add up to a substantial calorie burn that you need to account for in your nutritional bookkeeping.

Finally, are you achieving your objective of losing weight? Sorry if I have missed any of this as I just did a quick skim.
  • sunscoutie
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Probably not enough rest days. They say you should have at least two rest days a week, right?
    Rule that out first. Are you taking two days? Do you feel any better when you go back after a rest day?
    If that doesn't seem likely, and/or changing it doesn't make a difference, move on to the next most likely.
    Third, maybe, many women are anemic or, at least, low on iron. (But I am guessing your blood work included that.)
    Next might be food. Do you eat before you work out? Are you on a limited-calorie diet?
    Etc., etc.
    Then, if those things don't seem to be it, move up to the more arcane or weird things.
    The point is start with the most common and rule out one possible explanation at a time.
    Good luck.

For the last month, I've only been doing these workouts on TUES/THU. Do you think even just putting those closer together could be the problem? What if I did Tues/Sat?

I'm trying to keep better hydrated. Its helping.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Etc., etc.
    Good luck.

For the last month, I've only been doing these workouts on TUES/THU. Do you think even just putting those closer together could be the problem? What if I did Tues/Sat?

I'm trying to keep better hydrated. Its helping.

If recovery, and not under eating total calories, is the main issue, then yes, spacing the workouts further apart will probably help, if not solve the issue.
  • sunscoutie
    Options
    Any improvement?

What I think you really need to pinpoint is why you were able to do the workout in previous months, but it is now creating issues. I have had a fun trip to the emergency room for random fainting aka vasovagal syncope, with lots of tests run and no satisfactory answers. It was a well learned lesson not to be a dumb@ss and try to power through the dizziness, as the body has a very effective mechanism for making sure you lay down. :D

I also find it notable that you are fretting about eating 1900 calories a day. You don’t say much about your horse activities, but depending on your type of riding (eg, endless posting with no stirrups) and how many stalls you are mucking and straw bales you’re toting, it can add up to a substantial calorie burn that you need to account for in your nutritional bookkeeping.

Finally, are you achieving your objective of losing weight? Sorry if I have missed any of this as I just did a quick skim.

Recently, since this started, I have reverted back a couple pounds. I was eating frantically in hopes that I could regain some energy. Now it's stabling off (I'm trying to find a good balance again) but for the most part, no I have not dropped any weight. That is why this is weird. I do a lot but then some weeks I don't. Some weeks I don't ride but once, and others 3x. Some rides are short and easy, others long and winded. Some weeks it seems I'm out doing chores all the time, and others I slack. I've actually been eating more like 2100 calories a day. So I do believe I am eating enough, if not too much, to get me through my days.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight precipitously, I agree you're not undereating, although it's important to be fueled for the workouts, but I don't think that explains this sudden onset of sickness, faintness and exhaustion. If you had come back and said, yeah, I lost 20 lbs in 3 months or some such, then I would be more concerned. If you haven't lost much weight in 5 months, you are eating at maintenance (and probably building some muscle with your workouts).

Would you say your eating has been consistent over the 5 months? And it's not something caused by suddenly going Keto or greatly reducing carbs? (Again, sorry if I missed this).

Just based on my personal experiences, I think it sounds like some kind of mechanical issue that, if it can't be pinpointed by a doctor, you should attempt to address it by scaling back this problematic workout. Reduce the weights and feel free to kick back and take a little break when needed. If you spend a minute resting rather than doing burpees, that's like, 10 calories or so. Not a big deal. You can always incrementally increase the weights again. Rather than a short term goal of keeping up with the old folks, it's better to have as a long term goal being one of those old folks kicking butt in the class...and the way you achieve that is by taking a sustainable approach with a long term view over the coming decades, and don't torture and beat yourself and your body.

My nephew is a trainer and I purchased a 6-week remote program from the "bootcamp" facility where he worked till recently. While I really loved and was challenged by the programming (lots of supersets interspersed with cardio type stuff, all thoughtfully put together) since I didn't have the trainer in my face, I could do it at my own pace, and still get results I was delighted with (also, I pretty much ignored most of the cardio, and did my cardio on days I wasn't lifting). I was doing 4 workouts a week for an hour or longer, plus a lot of other activities, but since I could adapt it to my needs, I wasn't demanding too much of myself.

I can understand the urge to keep up, but you also should love it and be kind to yourself. Also, keep up on your riding, because as long as you're riding at a more challenging level, it's another great source for moderate cardio and resistance training for your legs and core, in addition to being therapeutic (unless you are dealing with an off track thoroughbred or other such craziness!).

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264832193_Oxygen_Cost_of_Recreational_Horse-Riding_in_Females