HIIT during recovery

Options
Hi! Three weeks ago I had a bladder prolapse repair and a bladder sling (installed?! Lol). can’t lift over 10 lbs and advised against running. Any ideas for HIIT workouts? Or should I be avoiding? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Avoid. Completely inappropriate in your circumstances.

Caveat - there's a good chance what you are calling HIIT isn't. That's not a dig at you but it's just about the most inappropriately and inaccurately used term since it became fashionable to attach the HIIT label on any and every intensity of cardio intervals or circuit training or calisthenics.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just ask the Doctor who told you not to lift over 10# and not to run this question? You can't really believe you'll get better advise from a bunch of internet strangers.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Avoid until you are medically cleared.
    No, really. You don't want to mess up your surgery and potentially have to have it repeated.
    And may I please jump on this HIIT bashing bandwagon.
    True HIIT, as developed by Izumi Tabata, was not something as relaxed and insignificant as doing some jumping jacks for 40 seconds and then reviewing your phone messages for 20 seconds and then repeating.
    Tabata had his study subjects on exercise bikes, going absolutely balls-to-the-wall for 20 seconds, and only resting for 10 seconds, and repeating eight times.
    And he wasn't looking to burn calories. He was looking to see if short bursts of high-intensity might improve exercise capacity (as measured by VO2 max) better than a slow run/ride done for longer and more often.
    It did.
    But my soccer coaches, and most football coaches, could have told him it would. They called HIIT "wind sprints," where you sprinted 20, 30, 40 yards, then turned around and came right back with little (if any) rest, until you fell out in a quivering heap or barfed.
    I am pretty certain what most people are doing when they think they are doing HIIT, as originally described, is not that intense.
    And, it appears that it needs to be that intense to produce the VO2 max and anaerobic capacity improvement. In a short amount of time, at least.
    That why your coach kicked your butt and made you hate practice.
    What most people are doing is really just a little bit of exercise for a short period of time.
    Sorry. But OP seems to have gotten some excellent advice already. And this misapplication of the acronym HIIT is my current pet peeve.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    HIIT was around long before Tabata - and I'd suggest he actually misused the term too.

HIIT as known prior to him allow for longer rest period so that the hard interval could truly be hard.
    It was about as close to a lifting effect you could get with cardio.

You take a rest as short as his in the study and recommendation - your hard cannot possibly be as hard as it could be.

Nothing against his program, and it showing great results compared to LISS - but still.

Even programs to improve VO2max and AT/LT are different than his.

And ya, the misapplication of the term is incredible.