did anyone say something helpful that motivated you to lose weight?

Options
I'm sort of at the end of my rope. I know losing weight has to be a personal internal decision,

However, I just wonder if anyone out there was actually motivated by something a loved one or friend said and it helped motivate you to get fit.

My husband struggles with his weight...and he just can't seem to stay on a plan even though he talks about it all the time.

I just wonder if there is anything I could say to help or that would help him get the eye of the tiger..which is what it takes to lose a good amount of weight.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I moved to MFP with a group of guys from Weight Watchers. When we were on the WW message board, now eliminated by WW, we got this question every day. Considered opinion was there was nothing you could say.

But my take was this- is it a serious health issue for your husband? If yes, one time and only one time, tell him you don’t want to lose him or see him have a stroke and try to sell him on calorie counting supported by a food diary.

Do I think this will change him? No. But if he drops dead like my brother-in-law did at age 38, you might not feel so guilty. Speaking up more than once will quickly be construed as nagging.

If you or your husband are interested, you can search GoaD on this sight and find our group. There are plenty of women GoaDies and most of us have moved on from WW.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    A friend once mentioned that I had given up on myself! That I quit loving myself. That was my wake up call.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Someone said it was like being hit by a truck when they ran into me...
  • Ducks47
    Options
    "Your condition can't be cured, but you can minimize the flare-ups if you lose weight".

I had a leg 3 times its normal size with a weeping wound that wasn't healing (we eventually found the right antibiotic for it) and daily visits from nurses to change the dressing. I didn't want that to be my life.

That and what my doctor said when I told him that I couldn't afford Weight Watchers.

"People can lose weight without them".

2 weeks later I found this spot. 2 years, 3.5 months and 108lbs later, I've never felt better1

That’s phenomenal !
  • Ducks47
    Options
    Also, the doctor wanted to send me to a fat camp. A low point, obviously.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I saw something on Pinterest that kind kept me going. I was back and forth constantly, battling an eating disorder and trying to get down to a healthy weight without falling back into my starve-binge cycle. I lost and gained the same 20 lbs over and over, and finally ballooned up to 207 lbs from a healthy 150.
    It was "Fall down 7 times, stand up 8." It means so much to me now, not even with weightloss but with anything life throws at me, that I am getting the words, "Stand up." tattooed on my ribs.
    Another one that was life changing was, "Your dreams do not have an expiration date. Take a deep breath, and try again."
    Once I took myself off of a timeline, with trying to reach certain goals by certain dates, I started to actually see progress and I didn't get discouraged and fall back into bad habits right away, by trying to rush myself and depriving myself to get there by that set date.
    Since that moment of self englightenment, that I was going to do this the right way, the healthy way, and that I would get there when I get there, I started actually losing weight on a consistent downward slope. And since that day, I have been in recovery from my eating disorder. I have had some close calls, but I have a wonderful support system in my fiance and I have not relapsed once. I have lost about 55 lbs and have maintained it for about a year now. Now I am focusing on muscle.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My doctor: "You'll be on high blood pressure meds for the rest of your life if you don't lose weight".
    Me: "Hmmph".
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have always been fit and went on a 100 mile bike ride (I ride 100 a lot) which I am usually good at. Got dropped multiple times, meaning they had to wait for me which has not happened in years. Lost 10 pounds in 5-6 weeks. Nothing was said...but motivation is very high.
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    After I had already lost a significant amount of weight, my mom told me she was proud of me. My mom has always tried to gently nudge me down a heathier path often times by doing it herself and trying to lead by example. I was just boasting one night on the phone with her about my weight loss and she stops me and says "I'm so proud of you." Gosh, makes me tear up a bit, but it's a huge motivator to keep going.

My highest was 275, I'm somewhere around 210lbs now and still consistently and slowly losing. I believe I'll find my healthy space.
  • VanElle69
    VanElle69 Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    My Mum always told me I was fat when I was a teen. I was chubby but not obese. She always tried to get me to diet. I rebelled when I went to Uni and got really fat. 30 years later, attending a yoga class to manage work stress finally taught me to love myself enough to look after myself. I took a year to lose 3stone, got down to a healthy BMI and have stayed there for a further year. What could my Mum have said to help me lose weight? Nothing. Not.a.thing. It only happened when I wanted it.