Pregnancy - exercise and food

Options

I’m almost in 2nd trimester and wondering what my calorie intake should be? I’m. It religious about this but use it more as a guide. Ive been told you get a lot hungrier so need a guide. I’ve only been walking which I plan to start body weight training and yoga to help with when I get to full term. Any help would be great!

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Maybe speak to the medical professional who is monitoring your prenatal care.
  • hubn8147
    hubn8147 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 38 weeks 4 days pregnant with my 2nd. I'm 5'5" and weighed 147lbs pre pregnancy. I agree with speaking to your Dr. first of course, before starting anything new. My first pregnancy I gained 43 pounds, I was sedentary and ate with reckless abandon (this resulted in a terrible time postpartum and a lot of extra weight to lose!). This time around I decided that I needed to take better care of myself, so this is what I did:

In my first trimester I didn't eat any additional calories (1400-1500? ) and was still running 3 miles several times a week (like I did before getting pregnant).

My second trimester was unfortunately a train wreck! Lol, right in the middle of the holiday's. I stopped running and counting calories - I gained the bulk of my weight during the second trimester.

I entered my third trimester after the first of the year and I realized I needed to get my butt back in gear. I started counting calories again and on average ate about 1800-1950/day. I picked up running again, albeit slower and only 2 miles. I stopped running at 34 weeks as it was making me too sore. I started doing prenatal pilates and doing Jillian Michaels Lift and Shred DVD (using light weights with some modifications) at home - alternating them 5x a week. I also have been walking 10,000 steps/day. I found by exercising it made me feel great (physically and emotionally) and my back felt terrific! My weight gain slowed significantly since entering the third trimester, and I have only gained about 25 lbs so far. I have noticed that I have slimmed up around my waist and love handles since doing the weight lifting, while the baby was still gaining weight normally. My Dr. fully supported my exericising and I made sure to listen to my body and stop/modifiy/rest whenever I needed to. This last week or two I've been eating closer to 2200 calories (baby dropped! I feel a lot hungrier lately!).

Again, this is just what I did. You and your Dr. will need to find what will work best for you. I will say though based on my experience between my first pregnancy and this one - I feel SO MUCH BETTER this time around! Just remember to make time to take care of yourself, whatever that may mean for you :) Good luck! Feel free to add me
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I am also pregnant. I set my goal on MFP to "maintain current weight" and then I just know I can go over that number by about 300ish every day (In the second trimester). I don't go over every single day but I also tend to eat more on the weekends to make up for it. I weigh myself every morning and log it into this app that keeps track of my gain trend (Happy Scale), and I'm trying to keep it right around 1lb a week. There for a while I was gaining too fast so I had to cut back on my intake to get it where it needs to be. My goal is to stay under 35lbs total by the end.

For pregnancy, walking is obviously a great thing to do. I know it sounds lame but it really helps. Whatever you were doing, exercise-wise, before pregnancy you should be able to continue with some modifications unless your doctor has put you on any restrictions. Important thing is to listen to your body. Pregnancy has made me a lot slower and I just get a lot more aches and pains and have to take it a lot easier than I did before. I have had horrible lower back pain this time around so I personally need to watch certain activities that might aggravate that.