Do You Exercise During the Work Day?

Options
My job usually requires me to be at the office from about 730a to a little after 5 every day. Some days I actually get a lunch break and manage to step outside for a few minutes. Although, it has been over 100 nearly every day all summer. So hot... Back on track now- if you work a an office job, what are some of the things that you do to get a little movement during the day? Do you exercise on your lunch break? I'm looking for some ideas to break up the monotony of staring at my computer for 9 hours.

Replies

• Nuclear_Synthesis
    Options
    Try and take a little walk in your lunch break, and i also used to do 30 wall push ups in the bathroom when i had my office job. I also made sure i was always moving my legs, made me look very fidgety but it keeps the circulation going and keeps your body working.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I take a walk everyday on my lunch break (when the weather is nice). I have to bring a complete change of clothes because I'm dripping with sweat by the time I'm done.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Does your work have stairs? I try to walk all three flights of stairs on my breaks.
  • Rloral
    Rloral Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Me and my co-workers have been walking on our lunch break. We have an hour lunch, two of the co-workers eat before we walk and I eat after. The walk usually takes about 20-30 minutes, we also sit at the computer all day. Good Luck!
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a walk during my breaks and my lunch after you add up the time it's 60 minutes of exercising. Plus it breaks up my day getting away from the computer screen and office!
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I love going on walks during lunch. I usually dont have enough time to get to the gym, although I would love to do that during lunch. I pack a gym bag and usually go directly after or before work. Its also a good idea to get up from your desk at least every hour and take a 2 minute break from the computer. Stretch your legs and make a lap around the office. It will keep you focused and make you feel a little more active throughout your day.
  • amysuespears
    Options
    I like that idea of doing wall push ups in the bathroom... sounds great! This may sound morbid, but we have a large cemetary right behind my office... I try to walk through it for at least 15 mintues twice a week. I also do cardio every night, so that extra movement during the day gives me extra energy to get through a boring office day.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use the rest room and water fountain on the second floor rather than the one closest to my office and try to run up the stairs when I go up there a few times a day. I also have a balance ball chair instead of a regular office chair.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the bathroom, if there isn't anyone else in there, I do jumping jacks. :smile:
  • sylouette98
    sylouette98 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to do Turbo Jam at work during my lunch break...but I got to the point where I was sweating too much and didn't like the feeling of being sweaty for the rest of the day at work. So, now I take the stairs every chance I get (and it's a LOT of stairs, lol!) I normally try to walk for a few minutes during my lunch too. I figure that every little bit helps! Ooooo! You could replace your desk chair with one of those workout ball things...I've seen people do that...or ankle weights (if you're wearing slacks)...Good luck! I hope this helps a little... :bigsmile:
  • AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options
    If your legs are under a desk, try putting weight on your legs and lifting, in reps. Could help?
  • mleb2005
    mleb2005 Posts: 45
    Options
    I use the rest room and water fountain on the second floor rather than the one closest to my office and try to run up the stairs when I go up there a few times a day. I also have a balance ball chair instead of a regular office chair.

I love my balance ball chair!

I have a workout friend at work and we push eachother to exercise during the day. I have a desk job where I dont get to move a lot so I am constatnly tapping my foot because I get to ancy and need to move. I now look forward to my lunch break not because I get to eat but because I get to work out. We usually rotate between running the stairs, taking a brisk walk, or riding our bikes. I also now ride my bike to work a couple days during the week. If I dont get to work out during the day I feel like I'm going to fall asleep. I think by far the best at work exercise is running the stairs...after 30 mins I was ready to collapse but I felt sooo good!

I do have to say that I work in a great place with a lot around us like a huge park and a bike path that goes along the Mississippi. So I'd day that I have an advantage when it comes to work outs during the day.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to have a gym across the street from work that has amazing Zumba classes, so I schedule my lunch breaks 3 times a week to take the 45 min class. On the other 2 days a couple of us get together to either walk outside or if it is too hot, we either go downstairs and use the equipment in our office gym or we walk up and down the stairs at the office.

What I've found is I HAVE to schedule the work outs on my calendar. This way, if someone is scheduling me for a meeting, conf call or something else, they will see I have a conflict on my schedule. Otherwise, I let work take over and I won't work out.

There are times that I have a tight deadline or have a meeting and I'll miss my Zumba class. When that happens, I try to at least do a 20-30 min walk/run or some other exercise. I find that when I work out during lunch, the rest of my day goes so much better. I'm more focused on my job and I get a lot more work done.

(I also sit at my desk all day -- oh, sitting on a ball chair helps too!)
  • tlcoke
    tlcoke Posts: 10
    Options
    I arrive at work 1.5 hours early and go to our employee gym facilities and work out or I go outside and walk on the walking track nearby. I park .25 miles away from my building so i get an additional .5 miles of walking in that way.

Another friend told me she gets up from her desk once every hour and walks the office floor.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the bathroom, if there isn't anyone else in there, I do jumping jacks. :smile:

That's is so hard core. Love it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A group of us get together at lunch three days a week and do yoga. When it's not too hot or too cold outside, I'll take a little walk at lunch.

I have one coworker who takes a few breaks during the day with weights and walks up and down the stairs.
  • mom2alexandmatt
    Options
    I walk on days that it's not too hot. I usually try to get in at least 45 minutes. I also do pushups against the sink in the bathroom or standing leg lifts if no one is in the bathroom. I also find myself doing little movements in my seat. Like isometric holds by contracting my stomach muscles or just kind of tightening my stomach and moving side to side. Anything to get in a little movement.
    Good luck!
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Options
    I have the exact same schedule you do. Sometimes I'll get to work early enough that I will take a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood before it gets too hot; sometimes I'll go to the nearest park and walk there on lunch (depending on weather and temperature). I also will walk at one of the nearby cemeteries, so no, I don't think that sounds morbid at all.. lol.. there is also a about a 3-4 inch doorstep going up into my office and late in the afternoon when I'm the only one there, I will take 5-10 minutes and do step-ups for some sort of light aerobic exercise.

Sometimes it's not easy..but if you really want to do it, you'll find a way.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Yep- I get an hour lunch and usually do my runs during that time and walk on alternate days. I bring an extra set of clothes as well. And I have a lot of co-workers who take Yoga and other classes at the Y while at lunch.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    yes. I walk for at least 15 minutes a day with one of my coworkers (cmiles5) at lunchtime...If it's too hot outside, we will just walk around the building...