Calories in activities

Options
Hi! I am trying to figure out how many calories are burnt from a couple of activities I do. I put my activity level on here to lightly active so i can input my exercise myself. Which I feel like is more accurate
1. Tennis- I play private lessons for about a hour. Light running mostly just hitting

2. Pilates megafomer -Lagree- they claim you can burn around 400-600 per class but I’m not sure if I believe that,

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Google suggests tennis is about 6-8 calories per minute.

But you have to subtract the calories you would have lost anyway (because you burn some just by being alive) and round down to account for the times you were slowing down or moving less.

So. Yeah. Figuring out your actual burn, underestimating is best.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,838 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »

But you have to subtract the calories you would have lost anyway (because you burn some just by being alive) and round down to account for the times you were slowing down or moving less.

With you till the last three words.

Deleting them is best!

Yes, you want to create a consistent real actual deficit. No, you don't always need or want to push it to the max.
  • Terytha
    Options
    I'm hesitant to say delete them, because you wouldn't want to be in too severe of a deficit.

My current strategy is to subtract my hourly TDEE, which is 96, then divide by 2. Its not very scientific but I figure it should keep me from dropping under 1200 calories per day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,838 Member
    Options
    I'm hesitant to say delete them, because you wouldn't want to be in too severe of a deficit.

My current strategy is to subtract my hourly TDEE, which is 96, then divide by 2. Its not very scientific but I figure it should keep me from dropping under 1200 calories per day.

Not sure why you do that.... MFP when set at sedentary gives you BMR x 0.25 / 1440 Cal per minute if you're trying to calculate actual net calories

BMR estimate used is Mifflin St Jeor and you can find it here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Deleting them is best!

Yes, you want to create a consistent real actual deficit. No, you don't always need or want to push it to the max.

deleting them is not best. there is a big difference between overestimated exercise and 0.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
  • Terytha
    Options
    My exercise is abnormal. *shrug*

It doesn't matter though. My strategy works for me. Calculators work for other people. Either way, the point is to doubt anyone who tells you you'll burn 600 calories in a class. Because, probably not.
  • blubell0422
    blubell0422 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So using this calculator my BMR is 1923...I am currently on a 1000 calorie a day diet...there's no way I would lose on close to 2000, in fact I'd start gaining at that amount. At least I think I would. I'd be too scared to try to be honest.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options

Deleting them is best!

deleting them is not best. there is a big difference between overestimated exercise and 0.

I think there is a mis-understanding about what I meant when I said: "deleting them is best".

My fault for not being clear.

My reference was to: "deleting the *last three words* i.e. deleting "underestimating is best" in reference to the post I was quoting.

Yeah, I took it as meaning delete the exercise calories, which didn't make sense with your subsequent sentence about not needing to push your deficit to the max.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    I would use a MET chart for the tennis. For pilates too if you found in on there.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Pilates? Probably not a lot. You burn less calories holding a position relative to lifting something up. And lifting doesn't burn a lot of calories to start with.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Try www.fatburn.com