Low Impact Exercise

Options
Hi All!! I'm excited to start my journey on my fitness pal! I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on low impact exercises that can burn fat and strengthen core. I have a bad right leg and can't do anything that involves stepping harshly- so jumping jacks, jump rope etc, are out.
I was thinking of some gentle yoga and some calisthenics like sit-ups and leg lifts. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Jamie

Replies

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Check out fitness blender or pop sugar fitness on you tube. They have all kinds of workouts and always show modifications.

Walking at a brisk pace is also always great :smile: Leslie Sansone videos are good to learn a good pace.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yoga can be really great but you do need to make sure your alignment is proper or you risk injury. If you go to a few classes in a studio they can help with that.

I have injured my right knee 3 times and it is definitely weaker than my left knee. I walk 6 or 7 days a week right now and am about to start trading 3 of those walking days for a workout on the elliptical. I think I've gained enough muscle strength around my right kneecap to move to something a little more intense. I'm focusing on strengthening/preserving muscles in my thigh to help further support my knee. I have learned a lot by poking around on Pinterest to see some exercise recommendations.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you would like to do yoga and you have a bad knee, i'd highly recommend going to a studio at least for a while so you can learn proper alignment to avoid further injury.

perhaps aquaerobics or aquajogging or swimming?

• lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I discovered Pilates 6 months ago and it's life changing. Low impact and focuses on core, strengthening everything, balance and flexibility. Most studios have a beginner or level 1 class that you can adjust to your ability.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I would recommend searching through Jessica Smith videos on youtube. The majority of her workouts are low impact, with modifications to make it higher impact if you need an extra push. I like this strategy, makes me feel less weak than having an instructor say "if you can't do this full motion do this instead". Weird psychology I know.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,156 Member
    Options
    Pool exercises could be great, if you have access to one: The buoyancy reduces impact stress.

I have bad knees (torn meniscus, mild OA), and need to avoid impact or torque on my legs. For me, rowing (machine and water), plus biking (indoor and out) are achievable, but they might not fit with your needs and constraints.

Don't forget about strength training. There are some good programs in this thread (including bodyweight programs that don't require a gym or expensive equipment, despite the thread title):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

You might need to adapt or omit certain exercises, but some should be manageable.

Best wishes! :)
  • erikaramirez4872
    erikaramirez4872 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Leslie Samsone has here videos on YouTube.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My favorites are: rebounding w light free weights for my arms (downward motion--not jumping!); qigong, and some resistance & stretches (ballet bar, yoga, pilates alternating days).