job = purpose?

Options
13»

Replies

• scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I love working and I love my job. I don't have a traditional 9-5 office type job, so I guess that's probably part of it. I have flexible hours, I can work from where I want and I get to travel a lot.
  • Dylanzmom
    Dylanzmom Posts: 120
    Options
    Guess I'm one of the few that actually loves my job. I am a caseworker and now i get all my kids adopted!! i love finding them the forever families that they need and deserve.

Some people enjoy being stay at home moms/dads and that is still a full time job. For those that do, all i gotta say is ENJOY!!!
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I agree with Marcia36, and I don't know why people seem to get defensive when someone says they don't want to work. It's not like she's planning to live off social services or something, so why should it bother anyone else. I have to say, I feel the same way. I do want to contribute my talents to the world in some way, and if I were able to not work, I would get involved in charity work, etc. But I think it is a good thing not to resign oneself to working away one's life, especially if it is done in a career/job that is not fulfilling. I have always felt the same way, that there must be something more to life than the daily grind. I think it is about finding something that you can be passionate about and using the gifts you are given in some way, and the money to do whatever it is and live your life will come when you follow that goal.
    EXACTLY!! Thank you very much.

Also, my bf is a self employed aspiring writer. I'm going to tell him about NaNoWriMo. Thanks!

Cool! I really loved it. Just be prepared for him to be somewhat absent from your life for most of November! It is so rewarding, though. My hope is that once I edit my manuscript, I will be able to get it published and live the life I really want. We have to chase our dreams, whatever they may be!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I can see this from so many views. I've had a few jobs that I loved, but they were internships or VERY part time, so the lack of financial stability stressed me out. All my other jobs have just made me live for the weekend and I only stuck with them until I had something better suited to me.

Now, I'm unemployed because my best friend invited me to come live with her when she got her first real job out of college. My mom and I were driving each other crazy, and we've always wanted to live together since high school until one or both of us needed to move on. She has been generous enough to pay my bills until I get a job (which has not happened yet) just for the sake of having me there. We're more like sisters really, and we've always been attached at the hip. My family thinks its weird, but whatevs.

She's an lease analyst, and her job sounds boring as crap to me, but she LOVES it. She comes home and talks about all the tedious things she got to do every day, and I'm happy for her.

She also completely supports my goals to someday work from home selling crafty things and doing freelance art. I discovered having the free time to do the chores AND make art made me the happiest I've been in a long time, and I'm slowly trying to get to a point where I can make that a reality. I don't think I will make a ton of money, but I have to give it a try or I'll regret it forever. If it doesn't workout, I have a Graphic Design degree, and I can make the moolah doing that (which I also love). And my bestie makes plenty of money for now to cover all our needs, and she's told me a million times to stop asking her if she's ok with it.

If you're happy, either with your decision to work a job you hate for the money or with the job you have or lack thereof, who cares?

Also, I'm about to turn some people over my knee with all this bickering. Just quit it.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm about to turn some people over my knee with all this bickering. Just quit it.

Sorry mom...:ohwell:
    lol
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom and I am busier than ever too! You all should just get along and not bicker over such things. There is way more important things to discuss! People are starving and dying all around the world! Just live your life happy and dont worry about bickering!! God bless!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

Sorry mom...:ohwell:
    lol

Apology accepted ;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is you're looking at this wrong.

I have a 9-5 job. It's not a bad gig at all. Pays well. I work with nice people. I'm even using my degree. But I don't enjoy it because it's not my calling. I'm writing, but not the kind of writing I want to do forever. I want to write novels.

If I won the lottery tomorrow, yes, I would quit my day job. I would travel. But I would also keep writing because it is a part of who I am. It's still a job, but I feel like it gives my life purpose. I wouldn't want to sit on my rear all day watching TV. I want to create and give something to the world.

Wow, I'm in the exact same boat. I have a journalism degree, and while I am writing, it isn't what I want to be doing at all...I mean the type of writing I'd like to be doing. I also want to create something special in my lifetime. I wrote the first draft of a novel last month for NaNoWriMo. It happens every November, and I think that without it, I would never have had the discipline to complete the project (of course, I still need to edit the whole thing, but that's another story). If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out! Good luck!

I tried NaNo. I gave it a shot. I don't have the discipline for it! lol

I started my own writing critique group, though, and part of it is assigning homework to the group, so that should help me a ton.

Good luck to you!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Unless you are independently wealthy there isn`t much choice.

Exactly.

My purpose in life is to be a husband and father, it's hard to do either of those without a wealthy wife or having a job.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. My job is in what I majored in... I think the problem with it is that I'm chained to a desk all day. If I start freelancing I'll be a lot happier, doing what I love without having to get up and drive in every day.
  • bigdaddycowgill
    bigdaddycowgill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Raising children and maintaining a household is hardly freedom!
    [/quote]

Hey, not everyone thinks like that. There is nothing wrong with raising children and maintaining a household. Some people actually find joy in that.
    [/quote]
  • bigdaddycowgill
    bigdaddycowgill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sorry, screwed that up. I love being a stay-at-home-dad & am extremely lucky to have a wife who would rather be working.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Children should be raised by parents, not staff.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I like to feel useful. I like to feel I am using my talents in some way. I work part time as a teacher and feel useful both at home with my son and at work.

The best I've ever felt about getting up in the morning was when I volunteered for a year after college. I had been thinking 'If I won the lottery I'd volunteer again', so when I heard in church that one of the singers was going to start working at the night shelter in town, organising the education program, I volunteered, so hopefully I'll have plenty of 'purpose' next year!
  • coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The SAH vs Work debate will always be a fight. Everyone thinks their way is the right way.

You can just do what me and my husband do and work opposite shifts so the kids are home, there's no money wasted on daycare, and there are 2 incomes coming it. It's the very best of both worlds!

I'm the lucky one because I only work 31 hours a week. And I love my job. Like a lot. Like I like to go into work and love what I do. And it's a 4 minute commute. And my boss rocks. And it's the best job ever.
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have my master's degree in social work -- and I'm an account manager for a staffing company. I like what I do -- finding people for jobs and jobs for people. But I know my heart's not in it. When I decided to go to school for social work -- it was because I was raised in foster care and felt really let down by the people in my life who were supposed to help me. I finished school and became a counselor. I hated it!!! I hated being surrounded by all that pain and anger and sadness. Happy people don't go to counseling. For 5 years I tried to squash down the burned out feelings. And then I quit -- walked away into a factory job that I loved!!! I didn't have to think or stress or worry. But after a minute I wanted to feel "useful" again -- I wanted to help people again. So I went into staffing/HR -- it seems a good compromise I guess.

But now I just sit and think how nice it would be if I could have my dream job. I want a little craft boutique. Something like etsy.com -- where people bring their stuff in to sell. But it's IRL so you can touch it and try it on. And I want it to have an open crafting room with lockers so that people can bring their stuff in to work on -- and just relax. I love crafting -- I love making jewelry. But it's something I have to squeeze in. I wish I could make it a priority -- I wish I could have the freedom of going whereever -- whenever. But alas -- I have bills in my name :(

Major kudos to our SAHM/Ds -- my co workers think I'm crazy for staying over 30 minutes to finish something up -- you guys are on the job 24/7!!! Much love and respect!!

:flowerforyou:
    SommerJo