For The Tattoo'd

Options
This might seem a silly question, but when I was last tattoo'd exercise was still a mystery to me.

I got a new piece done on Saturday and part of it dips towards the crease in my knee. I'm concerned vigourous exercise is going to have an effect on the healing process. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep sweat out of the art while it's healing.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's been almost a week... it should be mostly healed by now. If it's done peeling, I'd say you're good to go.

I did Warrior Dash one week and one day after getting mine on my back.

Don't forget sunscreen if you're exercising outside. The kind that looks like a big chapstick tube works well.
  • brandydelight
    brandydelight Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I give mine time to heal a good week before I do anything vigorous, once the flaking process starts...one, paid too much to mess it up and afraid of bacteria getting in fresh wounds...
  • ah_mander
    ah_mander Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with the peeps from above, make sure sweat is out of it, keeping it clean is the most important thing!
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    keep it clean...watch it..if it starts to peel or scab...I would try to do something else till it is all healed. I want a new one too but do not want to break up my workouts!!! My tattoo guy says as long as you keep it clean maybe cover it with something...it SHOULD be ok...I don't like that SHOULD part.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I just got my 3rd tattoo and it's on the back of my neck. It's healed up just fine for me, even with strenuous work outs, sweating etc... I would just put a thin coat of Aquaphor (or the lotion you are currently using) on it as usual. Work out, then after working out I would wash it with antibacterial soap and apply another thin coat of Aquaphor.

Just make sure you aren't rubbing it with a towel - you don't want to scrub off the scabs as it heals.
  • Angel87a
    Angel87a Posts: 113
    Options
    my tattoo artist said sweat is natural so you should be fine. just make sure to wash it after... it's stuff like swimming in a pool or taking a bath for to long that could mess it up
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Treat it the same way you would any other wound. If you need to cover it with gauze while you exercise, then do it and just keep it clean.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Don't let anything rub against it for workouts for at least another week - extreme friction in that area will slow the healing. (knee brace or supports come to mind, not sure if that applies)

Otherwise keep it clean and you should be good.

Where's the picture of it?? :wink:
  • LaBellaDanielle
    Options
    I have multiple tattoos and never had an isssue with physical activity. As FrozenTundra said, I'd becareful with keeping it clean and dry, mostly sweat free. Also you can consult with your artist if you really want to play it safe.
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Neosporin (sp) was my best friend for my tattoos - used it and it healed perfectly. Like the rest of the MFP'ers have said, cover it, clean it, try not to knock it/disturb the peely bit and you'll be good to go!:bigsmile:
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I recently got a tattoo and worked out the same day. Keep it clean, water based lotion, and you will be fine.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Great question! I never even would have thought of that. I plan to get my next one soon =)
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have had two tattoos recently and I have not had any problems with sweat bothering them, the friction part is what you should worry about and possibly strectching the area. Apply whatever Tattoo goo, H2Ocean etc... to the area when working out. If you notice anything that what cause you to ease up, I'm sure you will and should stop what you are doing and do another kind of work out for a while.

Just stay clear of the air dryers, I hear they contribute to bacteria spread more so then dabbing the tattoo with a fresh paper towel.