Quiting alchohol and carbs edgy

Options
Anyone get really edgy when stopping alchohol and lowering there carbs?

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    why are you stopping alcohol and lowering carbs?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Well, if alcohol is a regular part of your diet and the associated relaxation from the alcohol is something you are used to, then I can see how removing alcohol would make one edgy, as it is basically removing a coping mechanism.

As for carbs, that seems to be pretty individual. If you naturally prefer a higher intake, reducing carbs can have that effect, whereas someone else could feel perfectly fine on the same amount.

Maybe reducing gradually if you are able can lessen the effect and ease the transition.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big drinker so I can't answer to that, but I am currently experimenting with lowering my carb intake, (from over 200 carbs a day, down to around 50-60 net carbs right now). I haven't experienced any edginess/increased jittery-ness. The only major thing has been a reduced appetite, so I have to be mindful to make sure I'm eating enough. Otherwise pretty much same old, same old :)
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Don’t lower your carbs, then. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, regardless of how many carbs you eat.

Different macros ratios effect people differently though, and some find a lower carb, higher protein and or fat macros split to have longer satiety levels for them. Weight loss comes down to calories, but finding a macros ratio that works well for you will make the whole process easier and more enjoyable.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

What do you mean by edgy - short tempered? Anxious? Jittery?

How much alcohol were you drinking (no judgement :) ) and how low are your carbs now?

I think it's more likely the alcohol, and may require some brain-storming on how to self soothe. If it turns out to be that the carb level doesn't agree with you, know that lowering carbs is not necessary to lose weight, assuming weight loss is your goal.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever drink so I can't comment on that. However, I have never lowered my Carbs, but if I did I would presume it may make me a little grumpy. Is there a medical reason for you to lower your Carbs?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Quitting alcohol is going to cause increased anxiety. Usually it is recommended to increase carbs when quitting alcohol, at least for the first month. Is there some reason you have done both?

Along these lines, back when I went to 12 steps meetings they all had tons of high carb (and fat) foods like Oreos and donuts. I myself initially developed an M&M habit when I stopped abusing alcohol. But then I started self-soothing with yoga, and found that more helpful.

If you let us know why you are cutting carbs and how low you are going we might be able to give you better advice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

It's probably not the carbs...if you're a regular drinker, it's most likely the alcohol. I'm a regular drinker...one of my last bad remaining habits. I'm in the habit of getting home and popping a few colds one's...when I abstain, it just feels weird because it's my habit and routine and makes me a little edgy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,963 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Quitting alcohol is going to cause increased anxiety. Usually it is recommended to increase carbs when quitting alcohol, at least for the first month. Is there some reason you have done both?

Along these lines, back when I went to 12 steps meetings they all had tons of high carb (and fat) foods like Oreos and donuts. I myself initially developed an M&M habit when I stopped abusing alcohol. But then I started self-soothing with yoga, and found that more helpful.

If you let us know why you are cutting carbs and how low you are going we might be able to give you better advice.

Well yeah, no 12 Step meeting is complete without sweets. I ate a lot of sweets in early sobriety.

Of course the best thing would be a well rounded and balanced plan. I drank quite a few Odwalla protein drinks when I first quit drinking. I think it's recommended to eat a lot of whole fruit, vegetables, lean protein, whole grains. Sensible stuff.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Don’t lower your carbs, then. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, regardless of how many carbs you eat.

Different macros ratios effect people differently though, and some find a lower carb, higher protein and or fat macros split to have longer satiety levels for them. Weight loss comes down to calories, but finding a macros ratio that works well for you will make the whole process easier and more enjoyable.

A macro balance that makes someone "edgy" doesn't really sound it's working for them.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    OP- when I gave up alcohol - the first few weeks I was more anxious- but that’s because I was having some wine each night to calm down after work. It took about a month to even out and my sleep and energy have never been better. That’s my personal experience.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You might want to check out the first post of this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10735541/less-alcohol-april-2019-one-day-at-a-time/p1

It contains member tips and experiences from people who were cutting down or cutting out alcohol. It also has a collection of resources that some people have found beneficial.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low sodium levels, from not replacing list sodium as carbs are lowered and insulin falls, will cause moodiness, fatigue, headaches and brain fog. Try eating half a teaspoon of salt every day, in addition to salted food, and see if that helps.