Anyone doing a water fast?

Options
Honeyacid
Honeyacid Posts: 115 Member
Recently I've been feeling really down. My life feels like a whirlpool of misery. Because of this I don't really feel like eating, so I was thinking about doing a 3 day water fast or a dry fast. If there is anyone that has done these fast, how did you feel during it? And what were your results?

Replies

• nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I can’t possibly fathom how going without food for 3 days is healthy. Lots of water is always good. If you want to lose weight eat healthier and eat less and it will happen.
  • RevWirth
    RevWirth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    People have done water fasts but I’d suggest a dr’s appt first.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a dry fast is??

If by 'water fast' you mean consuming nothing but water for 3 days, very bad idea.

Will do nothing at all for helping your problems with depression etc and nothing to help anything else either.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I really, really hope a dry fast doesn't mean not drinking water during the food fast.

OP, I'm really sorry that you are going through such a hard time. Please do not stop eating. Please speak to someone and get some help.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I really, really hope a dry fast doesn't mean not drinking water during the food fast.

OP, I'm really sorry that you are going through such a hard time. Please do not stop eating. Please speak to someone and get some help.

I'm afraid so.

@Honeyacid please be kind to yourself. Fasting isn't the answer to your problems and risks making those problems even worse.
  • gregc50
    gregc50 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a dry fast is??
    Google says no food or water for 16-24 hours.

I don't think fasting while depressed is a good idea, leaves you with even less energy to do things to distract your mind from the problems.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Ok, well a water fast for 3 days is a very bad idea.

A dry fast for that length of time is an even worse one.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for posting their feedback kindly to the OP. We are going to close this discussion now.

6. Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

I WILL:

I will allow members to share experiences without judgment. Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found on our Eating Disorder Resources page.
    I will understand that people have a complicated relationship with food.

I WON'T:

I won’t use any aspect of our service to promote anorexia, bulimia or any unsafe dieting practices.
    I won’t promote very low-calorie diets.
    I won’t diagnose other members.

Please note: Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low-calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
This discussion has been closed.