Cooking for 20...HELP!

Options
My entire family (20 of us) is going to the beach for vacation in a few weeks. Each couple is assigned one night to cook for the whole lot of us. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could make for that amount of people while still being relatively healthy? (Bonus points if it's not too expensive!!!) I'd like to try to stay away from pasta, if possible. I made pasta last year and I'd like to not take the easy way out :)

THANKS!

Replies

• cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Eggplant parmesan. Chicken parmesan. Large Salad. I make a huge pasta dish but it is with little pasta, sausage and fresh veggies. Very simple and healthy.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    How about a chilli with brown rice, I also made white rice for the fussy, but most where really surprised how much nice the brown rice was, cooked with a stock cube in the water.

Chicken fajita with sweet potato wedges (cooked in the oven with cracked pepper) and salad, everyone can have fun making them up at the table.
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    tacos!
  • NABrightEyes
    Options
    How about Grilled Tilapia......with grilled veggies and rice.
  • KristinL19
    KristinL19 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It might sound like an easy way out, but what about a variety of sandwiches? You could make some meat ones, and veggie ones so it stays on the healthy side. Might sound more like lunch, but maybe you could make some other side dishes to fancy it up a bit. Good luck!
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    look up Turkey Chili under the Recipes tread.

~A
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Turkey meatloaf
    Meatballs--you can make the meatballs ahead of time then heat in crockpot
    Boneless Skinless chicken breast with a couple cans of diced tomates in a crockpot then just make brown rice to go with it.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Kabobs on the grill if there is one available! you could do shrimp, chicken, veggies, and steak. for sides fresh salad, white/brown rice, etc.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I agree with Tacos! When we were camping we were each responsible for dinner one night, and we made shredded Chicken tacos using crock pots.
  • bcolburn289
    Options
    oooh I'm liking the fajita suggestion! Have all the chicken and veggies sliced up ahead of time, and it's a pretty quick meal! Tortillas, some rice, a salad...yum! :)
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    You could do "build your own Italians". Just put out platters of meat / cheese, sliced veggies, rolls and assorted condiments. This way they make what they want, and you are a HERO! (get it hero / sub) Or if you're looking for a hot meal option, do Shepard's Pie (some call it Chinese Pie) Its inexpensive, yummy and can be made ahead and reheated.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    tacos!

I agree..... this is something that you can make into an awesome spread..... make a couple of types of meat, get all the fixings that you think people will like, and as a side you can always do either a Spanish rice, or a black bean, corn, and cilantro salad... PLUS you can opt not to eat the tortillas to stay withing your goal...

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/search/tacos?searchSource=hdrbox-Recipes

She has some really good ones on her sight...:drinker:

Good Luck and enjoy!!!
  • AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options
    STEW! Everyone likes it. (watch 20 people now say they dont!) It's healthy as its lots vegetables and little can go wrong!
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have a great turkey chili recipe that you can make in no time and it makes a lot. Offer some grated cheese or my daughter will put it in a taco shell or tortilla.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! :)