why does fiber and fat requirements increase w/ execise?

Options
CCGwald
CCGwald Posts: 35 Member
Can anyone explain why the dietary requirements for fiber and fat increases as cardio exercise increase? I understand why protein and carbs requirements would rise but can’t understand why fiber and fat would. Thanks

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bump! I was wondering the same thing earlier.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    your goals are based on a percentage of your overall calorie intake. If you're total calories goes up with exercise (as they do on this site), then fat and fiber do as well. It should be this way for all the things you track.
  • Cchappell10
    Options
    Jackson's totally right. If you look at all of your requirements, they should all increase with exercise. Basically it is recommended that you "eat back" your exercise calories, so any time you include Cardio in your log, all of your caloric requirements will increase.
  • Barbaramax
    Barbaramax Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Jackson's totally right. If you look at all of your requirements, they should all increase with exercise. Basically it is recommended that you "eat back" your exercise calories, so any time you include Cardio in your log, all of your caloric requirements will increase.
    so do we have to eat back them calories?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    so do we have to eat back them calories?

Depends on how you have your goals setup. If you have your exercise figured into you base calorie goal, then no you don't... it's already accounted for you and only need to hit your daily calorie target. If you track your exercise separately, then yes you do.
  • Midori_i
    Midori_i Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't actually make sense here. At least the way I see it, your need for fibre and fat shouldn't change if you exercise more, only your overall calories, carbs and proteins. :/
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    your goals are based on a percentage of your overall calorie intake. If you're total calories goes up with exercise (as they do on this site), then fat and fiber do as well. It should be this way for all the things you track.
    The only exception I've noticed is sodium, which is preset at a flat rate 2500mg maximum, though different countries do have different recommendations.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    @Midori

Your fibre should be increased if you are increasing your protein due to increased exercise.

I found that out the hard way, and had to take fibre suppliments just to be able to 'go' *cough*.
  • Midori_i
    Midori_i Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh =O I see...
  • CCGwald
    CCGwald Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    that was my thinking as well