How long do your shoes last?

Options
I've always enjoyed getting out for a walk (or anything else), but, since doing MFP, I've realized how much control walking gives me over my TDEE. I can get up every hour or two at work and walk a mile in 15 minutes. It adds up, and I do it more now.

It's time to retire a pair of walking around shoes I got last fall. I don't use them to hike or cycle, just for everyday wearing.

I bet this is something a lot of us have in common. How long do your shoes last?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Not long, I average 16500 steps a day. Lol
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I’m doing (hiking on rough terrain) or walking on asphalt. When I was training for a long distance event, I had a podiatrist who told me to check the treads on my shoes and when they are worn down to get new ones. My Asics only last about 200-250 miles, my hiking Asolos maybe two trips or maybe only one.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I don't track shoes seriously, but do move my running shoes to walking shoe territory once they've accrued 350 miles run.

For regular daily wear -- ~6000 steps excluding exercise -- I tend to get a couple of years out of shoes, with more seasonal pairs lasting longer, if they're only worn in summer/only worn in winter/only worn for hiking/etc.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Not long, unfortunately. I have not kept track of the miles or steps it takes to wear them out because my steps vary due to my back condition. I'm fat, and I walk funny because of, again, my back condition (you couldn't really tell looking at me, but I can tell my feet step in a weird way when I walk to compensate). My shoes start losing support after only 2-3 months. I have 20 or so pairs of sports shoes in various states of wear that I cycle, and I gradually throw away any pairs that can't be redeemed with inserts. Whenever my stock starts getting low I start hunting for new shoes. I have yet to find "the right shoes" that would both last longer and fit my wide feet without aggravating my achilles, so yeah, this is a sore topic for me.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I don’t really track walking shoes, but they probably last about 6-9 months. I get about 300 miles out of running shoes, which is 3-4 months for me.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Running shoes last me 300 - 400 miles and then turn into "run around" shoes until they start to bother my feet (maybe a few hundred more miles).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Running shoes last me 400-500 miles, then become walking shoes for another couple of months. If I have shoes that are only walking shoes then probably about 5-600 miles, though I have a pair of Merrill Moab hikers that have about 900 miles. That's just miles that are deliberate exercise, not random steps. Shoes become garden shoes when they start giving me odd pains.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Running 200-250 miles.
    Walking? Don't track, until they fall apart basically