140 pounds to lose!

Options
Hi, I'm Darla and I'm 65 years old. I just retired and had a very stressful job that I gained ALOT of weight over the past 10 years. I used to weigh 122 for years. Now I'm at 270..unbelieveable! I would love to connect with others in my situation. I am starting keto in 2 days.

Replies

• CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I started 6 months ago with 138 lbs to lose and I've lost 65 lbs so far. I started at 273. I'm not doing keto, just calorie reduction and exercise.

Congrats on your retirement. I can get my 30 year pension on 11/1 and I'm trying to decide whether to retire or not (I'm only 56).
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I just turned 55 years and am currently 207 (down from 225 in March!). In my younger years, I was able to maintain a normal weight in the 130's without "diet and exercise." I then had a huge, sudden lifestyle change in 2001 where I found myself divorced from a mentally abusive situation; into a new relationship; moved to a new state; and started a new job. My world was flipped upside down and I gain 80lbs. I carried the extra weight for a few years and then found Medifast. I lost the 80lbs on that in about a year. I managed to keep it off for about 5 years and then peri-menopause hit along with a bunch of dramatic and traumatic life events. I gained 100-ish pounds. Now I'm in a better place (literally and metaphorically) and decided to pursue weight loss due to poor results on a blood test. In all honesty, I wasn't of a mindset to lose any weight for vanity reasons. I could do most of what I wanted to do and I wasn't trying to impress anyone, so I thought I was fine. The lab results told me otherwise.

The important thing for me to know is that in the past, major life changes (for the good and for the bad) have thrown me off-kilter and I've gained weight. A lot of weight, in a short amount of time. My challenge is not not get derailed when I retire in a few years and move to be closer to my sister.

We've got this! Let's do it together!
  • Hates2run
    Hates2run Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I have about 100 to lose and starting again after losing 50 in 2017. We can do this :)
  • dauchsmom
    dauchsmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me as well. I'm not keto but I am 63 and can well understand the weight loss frustrations of a senior!