Sodium Question

emilyc92
emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
edited October 1 in Food and Nutrition
How much sodium in one day is considered a "low sodium diet"? I think I have way too much sodium in my diet and I want to try to cut back on it, but I really know very little about it. Any advice is welcome!

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    MFP defaults to 2500mg, but the FDA has updated it (those were the old standards) to 1500mg. I would think (though I don't know) <1500mg would be considered low sodium... preferably <1000. Also, I noticed you don't track it in your diary... I think its time! :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    I personally set my limit to 1500mg.
  • I am in a weight loss program and we track everything- we are supposed to stay under 2500 g a day. There is sodium hiding in everything.
  • emilyc92
    emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
    MFP defaults to 2500mg, but the FDA has updated it (those were the old standards) to 1500mg. I would think (though I don't know) <1500mg would be considered low sodium... preferably <1000. Also, I noticed you don't track it in your diary... I think its time! :)

Oh you're right! I think I'll add it to my diary right now. Thanks :smile:
  • SheehyCFC
    bunch of articles if you google "daily recommended sodium" or "low sodium diet" but I like this one:
    http://www.cdc.gov/features/dsSodium/
  • SheehyCFC
    Oh you're right! I think I'll add it to my diary right now. Thanks :smile:

I also looked at your diary and you typically have deficits >500calories (more like600-800), AND consumption <1000 calories. I realize you have lost significant weight (per your ticker), but please be careful - that amount of deficit and lack of consumption can cause serious health issues. I realize that you did not ask for advice in this area, but I felt compelled to pass it on.
This discussion has been closed.