5k and health

Options
I Finally walk a 5k!! I’m so excited I feel like I have taken that first step to getting healthy. I can’t wait to continue walking. I won’t always have friends to walk with so I’m trying to figure out what I can do to help my walk not be so plain. Anyway I’m gonna start walking 3 miles a day to help me get to a healthy weight. Along with eating better!

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Have you tried listening to podcasts? I got hooked this winter listening to “Serial” when running. I had to be strict with myself and only let myself listen whilst I ran. Did mean I ran more than usual though as I was desperate to hear the next instalment. If you try it, make sure you start on Series 1. Of course there’s tonnes of other great podcasts, you could enjoy one that relates to your hobby or even learn a new language!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Put together a playlist you enjoy. If you walk near traffic, use only one earbud for safety.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog? Walking a dog a couple of times a day gives me good exercise. Alternately, ask a family member to walk with you. Go different routes if you can. It makes daily walks a lot more interesting.
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    get a thread mill and stationary bike. Especially good when weather or time is bad for outdoors. I put on average of 4 miles on the threadmill and 3.5 on the bike daily.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishment, 5k today, the world tomorrow! I'm an odd-ball type who doesn't like listening to music or anything when walking or running. On a good run, enjoy the symphony of my heart pounding as I try to run my very best. Found that when walking fast, I needed concentration to keep the pace fast, otherwise, I caught myself whistling Dixie with my hands in my pocket walking at a slower pace. Enjoy your company when doing your walks being a "one-man band." You're in great company.
  • lemonwater1
    lemonwater1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Listen to music or podcasts, change up routes/scenery, join a walking club or go to a community center with an indoor walking arena. Whatever you choose, just keep walking!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I love to listen to podcasts while walking. Or sometimes I will chat with a friend on the phone who lives farther away and we “walk together”.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I love audible, I'll happily go for miles with a good book to listen to.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree with pp about podcasts. I thought I wasnt a fan until i found how much I like them while walking/running outside. They really zone me out. At the gym or shorter runs i enjoy music.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good job! I love walking outside. The nature sounds are so peaceful. Outdoor exercise is almost like meditation for me.
    Indoors I am all about the 80's &90's hip hop. Lol
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I personally love listening to an audio book while walking. I find that it helps me zone out a little which is my favorite part of walking.