Count calories on keto?

Options
Hi all. Started keto 4 days ago. Have been eating about 1500 calories and 20 net grams carbs. I usually have to go to 1200 calories on other diets to lose. Should I do the same here? I weigh 169 and trying to get below 160. Thanks!

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,390 Member
    Options
    Yes you definitely count calories on Keto...Give it 4-6 weeks.....you will notice as you get further down the road on your keto journey ...you won't be as hungry....I do the 16:8 fast besides Keto..you are welcome to look at my food journal and add me if you would like....best of luck on your keto journey :)
  • Elleoj28
    Elleoj28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A higher calorie allowance will make your plan easier to stick to. You’ll definitely see results for the first week of starting Keto just from the low carb intake but as long as the 1500 is below your maintenance cals you’re good to go!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    to lose weight you need to eat at a calorie deficit over time. regardless of WHAT you eat.

what does MFP say to eat for a 0.5lb/week loss (since you are so close to goal slow is better)?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A good proportion of the initial weight loss may well be water weight simply from lowering carbs. 4 days isn't anywhere near enough time to judge the effectiveness of your calorie goal.

For long term fat loss then calories count, you may find that the food restrictions make adherence easier so that personally you don't need to count calories but remember your body still counts them whether you do or not.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As others have said, whether you los on 1500 will be determined by your TDEE. My guess is that you will lose weight at that level.

When I started out, MFP recommended 1420 kcal for me to lose about 1 lb a week. I ate at 1500 kcal on average because it suited me better. I had about 40 lbs to lose and actually lost faster than the predicted rate. I counted calories for the first few months in order to get a feel for serving sizes and what 1500 kcal looks like. I don't count often any more. Others continue to do so or never counted. Do whatever works.
  • hotphoenixrising
    hotphoenixrising Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Didn’t lose week one so making small calorie adjustment.