Cooking Apple Ideas?

Options
han182
han182 Posts: 82
Hey!

Me and my mum are stuck with what to do with our apples (Bramley). They're big cooking apples and past crumbles and pies we don't know what to do with them! We're looking to make a healthy desert with them.

Thanks All!

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    cut out the middle. put a teaspoon of honey in and bake :)
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I haven't used those before but I make applesauce with just water and it is yummy. If they are not sweet enough, you could add a bit of sugar or sweetner or honey. It usually doesn't take much.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My Mum used to bake them with rasins in the middle when I was young.... You could also add a bit of cinnimon if you like it :smile:
  • mailroommary
    Options
    Slice them up, put them in the microwave with some sprinkled cinnamon for about 1 min or so and you have a delicious, healthy treat.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Cut them in half, cut out the seeds and core, place in a glass baking dish (cut side up) with a half inch of water on the bottom. You can sprinkle them with a little cinnamon if you'd like. Cover and bake. I can't remember the temp and time to bake though. I want to say 350 degrees F for 20 minutes? My kids LOVE this dessert. I haven't made it in awhile, so thanks for reminding me! :flowerforyou:
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    cut out the middle. put a teaspoon of honey in and bake :)

Yum, add some blackeberries too, they are everywhere at the moment. I picked a huge box at the weekend and am struggling to use them up! I love free fruit!
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Run out and get a dehydrator!! Slice and soak in OJ for a minutes and put on the dehydrator. Sometimes I sprinkle cinnamon on them. Then they will last all year (well, if you can keep your hands off them)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Slice them up, put them in the microwave with some sprinkled cinnamon for about 1 min or so and you have a delicious, healthy treat.

& sweetener, taste is very similar to apple pie!
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I make apple sauce for my babe. I also keep apple sauce on hand for baking. Substitute it in cake recipes, add it to pancakes instead of oil. I add it to oatmeal and porridges for the baby. I also make a quinoa with apples.... quinoa, diced apples, carrots, thyme and a cinnamon. I also like sliced apples on my sandwiches and chicken salad with apples and celery. Apple breads are delish... the apple makes breads and muffins so moist. Waldorf salad is one of my favs.... dice up apple, celery, chicken, walnuts, grapes (whatever you like) I like it with poppyseed dressing. You can stuff a chicken breast with an apple goat cheese stuffing. Obvs apple pie, baked apples, apple butter. Apple butter is an amazing sub for breakfast on toast. That's all I've got right now ;)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I use them in braised red cabbage. It is delicious hot (with sausage & mash, or roast dinners) or cold (with salads, pitta breads)

I dont know the calorie count per portion (Not much though) but this makes a huge batch and it freezes well.

Use a large pan (stock pan) or crock pot/slow cooker.

Ingredients:

1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
    2 red onions, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 cooking apples, cored, peeled and sliced
    large glug of port or strong red wine
    2-3 tbsp cranberry sauce/ redcurrant jelly (or fresh cranberries)
    1 tbsp sugar
    Salt & ground black pepper
    2 cinnamon sticks
    1 tsp mixed allspice
    water- enough to cover 2/3 of cabbage

Basically, bung everything into you big pan/slow cooker, give it a good stir and cook on low for a good 2-3 hours until tender and reduced.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yum, I'm definitely going to try that, though I fear I'll get sick of it well before all the apples on my tree run out!
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of recipes for crockpot applesauce and apple butter online.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Lol

Well- if you dont want to see them going to waste, buy some preserving jars and get making some chutney/jam. They will make good christmas gifts!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4859/fragrant-mango-and-apple-chutney

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8028/apple-and-cranberry-chutney

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2646/classic-apple-chutney

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12396/spicy-plum-and-apple-chutney

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2802/apple-and-walnut-marmalade

You will need to sterilise the jars first but once sealed and kept unopened they keep for months (up to a year)
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    Not a dessert, but apples go great with sauerkraut. I've had a yummy Rueben sandwich with it in it. I've grated it and added it to sauerkraut and pork chops (tried it with smoked sausage, as well).
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I did chutney last year (before the diet, and the SUGAR!!