QOTD

Options
Just sat here wondering. I know both are unhealthy, but if someone were to choose between a local Chinese buffet and a Golden Corral, which would be better. My choice was Chinese because golden corral, the calories on their web is super high and well Chinese cuisine I just use the basic guideline of avoid fried

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    French fries are made from potatoes which happen to be very healthy. Most food has nutrients you need it is just that some come at a higher calorie price and/or low satiation benefit.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If by "unhealthy" you mean high calorie, then it is entirely possible to get both higher calorie and lower calorie options at either restaurant. Golden Corral has vegetables that aren't fried, and I assume they have some meats cooked in lower calorie ways, such as by broiling. You can also take smaller portions. Chinese restaurants usually have things like steamed vegetables and sometimes steamed tofu.

Restaurant food will virtually always have more calories than something you cooked yourself, because they tend to use more fat/sugar/etc., and it's impossible to know exactly how many calories are in food you didn't cook.

I would personally go for the Chinese restaurant because in my opinion, Golden Corral is not worth the calories.
  • thelostbreed02
    thelostbreed02 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    If by "unhealthy" you mean high calorie, then it is entirely possible to get both higher calorie and lower calorie options at either restaurant. Golden Corral has vegetables that aren't fried, and I assume they have some meats cooked in lower calorie ways, such as by broiling. You can also take smaller portions. Chinese restaurants usually have things like steamed vegetables and sometimes steamed tofu.

Restaurant food will virtually always have more calories than something you cooked yourself, because they tend to use more fat/sugar/etc., and it's impossible to know exactly how many calories are in food you didn't cook.

I would personally go for the Chinese restaurant because in my opinion, Golden Corral is not worth the calories.

Honestly I would probably too because golden corral must be putting a tablespoon of oil on every dish because like a slice of pie is like 800 calories like holy
  • thelostbreed02
    thelostbreed02 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    But Chinese buffets are also a hit or miss. Some use boatloads of oil some dont. And also let's say the person choosing Chinese or GC was just someone with a big appetite who didnt care about food choices. What then would you choose for him/her
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Your going about this all wrong. Just eat within your calorie goal wherever you end up eating. It really doesn’t have to be more complex then that. If you go out to eat often and are that concerned make your best guesses based on Panda Express entries and add 20%
    307114882 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i like Chinese food too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    But Chinese buffets are also a hit or miss. Some use boatloads of oil some dont. And also let's say the person choosing Chinese or GC was just someone with a big appetite who didnt care about food choices. What then would you choose for him/her

Huh? I don't go around choosing for other people, especially ones not like me.

Well, that would be kind of like me: I have a big appetite, but I like veggies and salads, and don't eat meat. For me, I'd likely choose the Chinese buffet, because they're more likely to have good vegetarian options, and there's at least a small chance they wouldn't overcook the veggies (though most buffet veggies are overcooked).

What is this all about, anyway?

I read the GC nutrition site. The calories actually seemed surprisingly low, to me, for what was on the list. I suppose that has something to do with the portion sizes they assume . . . but I don't really resonate with your "the calories on their web is super high". Are you feeling anxious about eating out, or something like that?

If you're trying to control calories, pick the one where you think that would be easier. Or pick the one where you'd enjoy the food most, and make reasonable choices. Or, decide you don't care about calories for one meal, pick the one you like the most, and eat what you prefer, then just get back on track thereafter. It won't have a huge impact.

I use all those strategies, at different times, and I've been maintaining a healthy weight for almost 3 years now, after losing from obese to a healthy weight in 2015.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

I would advise that person to choose whichever food sounded most appealing to them at the time. If there is no concern about calories or nutrition, then make the choice based on what you want to eat. That seems pretty straightforward.
  • NovusDies
    Options

If a person didn't care about food choices what difference does one meal make? A person is either ready to change their habits or they aren't. I can send your hypothetical big appetite/not caring person to just about any restaurant and they could easily eat too much food. I can send a person that has a big appetite that does care to just about any restaurant and they could make good choices.

It is not helpful to be scared of food or eating. It is not helpful to be scared of calories. We need food with calories to live.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Chinese buffets - you can do the Hibachi where you pick up a plate and add on it whatever fresh vegetables, proteins and carbs you want. You tell them what sauce you want - mild, spicy etc. If you can, you can tell them to ony put a little oil on their grill. I think that is pretty healthy.
    At GC, I would probably get their salad which too me is nothing special, get some chicken, maybe shrimp. For me, GGC desserts are really tasty so I would do better at the Chinese buffet.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm a little worried about research that came out of Wansink, but potentially eating with chopsticks tends to result in taking in fewer calories. I don't think Golden Corral offers chopsticks.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I'm a little worried about research that came out of Wansink, but potentially eating with chopsticks tends to result in taking in fewer calories. I don't think Golden Corral offers chopsticks.

I have a washable set of chopsticks. I can take my own. Not to GC though. Unless I have little choice I am not going to spend any of my calories on a buffet. I want food that is freshly prepared for me. Not food that has been sitting under or over a warmer for a period of time degrading in quality.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I have a washable set of chopsticks. I can take my own. Not to GC though. Unless I have little choice I am not going to spend any of my calories on a buffet. I want food that is freshly prepared for me. Not food that has been sitting under or over a warmer for a period of time degrading in quality.

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Overall, buffets feel like a losing proposition since losing weight - I'll either feel I've overfilled my stomach or over emptied my wallet.

I actually own a number of washable chopsticks, including a few odd ones that seem more show than use like a set that is a bound together on the end by a rubber Freddy Krueger glove. In contrast, my mother brought her own fork when we went to Japan when I was younger.