Help me determine my calories please!

Options
When I put in my information on MFP I get only 1280 calories. When I do my TDEE on different sites I get 2225. I am nursing full time, so most say to add 500 to your daily intake. So that would be 2725. Take away the 500 to lose 5lbs per day and I’d be back at 2275. Does this sound correct? Thanks!

Replies

• anniecowgirlup
    anniecowgirlup Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Super helpful site to help you determine the amount right for you.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/weight-loss-calculator
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    TDEE sites includes an estimate of your average exercise calories in your daily goal, MyFitnessPal does not so gives you a XXXX plus exercise calorie goal that varies in line with your exercise that day.

First decide how you want to account for your exercise (same every day goal or daily goal that varies in line with your exercise) and then choose your calculator.

Whichever tool you pick the rate of weight loss you select has a huge impact on the result.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    anne0rdman wrote: »
    Take away the 500 to lose 5lbs per day and I’d be back at 2275.

I just want to be sure that this 5lb per day is some wacky typo. You'd have to be 600lbs for that to be even remotely possible.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    If you're nursing you don't want to be losing 2lbs per week, being in too large of a deficit can affect your milk supply. Your breastfeeding will naturally create a deficit, so choose to maintain and log your breastfeeding (there is an entry somewhere in the database with a minus figure).

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    If you're nursing you don't want to be losing 2lbs per week, being in too large of a deficit can affect your milk supply. Your breastfeeding will naturally create a deficit, so choose to maintain and log your breastfeeding (there is an entry somewhere in the database with a minus figure).

Good point. I assumed she meant she was a nurse!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

Good point. I assumed she meant she was a nurse!

I would probably have assumed the same had she not mentioned the adding 500 calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    anne0rdman wrote: »
    When I put in my information on MFP I get only 1280 calories. When I do my TDEE on different sites I get 2225. I am nursing full time, so most say to add 500 to your daily intake. So that would be 2725. Take away the 500 to lose 5lbs per day and I’d be back at 2275. Does this sound correct? Thanks!

Most nursing women on MFP set their account up to "maintain weight" and let their nursing calorie burn supply their deficit. Also keep in mind MFP uses NEAT, not TDEE, so your MFP calorie goal doesn't include exercise - you are supposed to log your exercise and eat back some/most of those calories.

We can't know which calorie goal makes sense without your current height and weight. But I feel confident the 1280 is way too low, if for no other reason than it does not include your breastfeeding cals or activity, and possibly because you set your activity level too low and chose an overly aggressive rate of loss. :drinker:
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If you share your current weight, height and goals as well as how much intentional exercise you do then I’m sure the lovely folk here on the forum will help guide you if the above advice is in any way confusing :)